Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 AM

I had the overboost issue with my Outlander last year, it was fixed by a software update to the engine management system. At that time I was getting an overboost fault but only when towing my caravan and after 2-3 hrs of driving. After it was resolved the car towed the caravan perfectly.

Just gone away with the caravan for the first time this year and the car went into limp mode again. This time it can happen within minutes of towing, as soon as I try to climb a hill or overtake a lorry it fails. I managed to get a local garage to run some diagnostics when I arrived and it's an underboost fault not overboost. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should check? Would a sticky turbo also cause an underboost fault?

Thanks

Mark

Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Default New turbo...not in my case

Had the same problem with sudden loss of power on my Outlander 07. Dealer changed the turboboost valve, didnt help. They changed the turbo and that seemed to help, but only for a couple of months. Now I got the same problems again.
Going to check the hoses like someone meantioned earlier in this thread.

If the engine is from VAG you know you got problems on your hands. I have a Audi too and it sucks big time when it comes to repair frequency.

Next time I will buy a real Japanese car with a real Japanese engine. Maybe a Toyota??

Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 AM

I managed to fix the underboost issue. I did two things. 1. There is a 90 degree hose on the top of the engine at the rear under the cover. This wasn't seated correctly on the fitting at one end. So I secured it with cable ties temporarily but will replace it. 2. The air filter was very dirty and looked like it had never been changed even though it's on 60k and has been serviced at a main dealer from new.

After doing those two things I towed my van home with no issues at all. In fact it's like a new car with much better performance and mpg.

Mark.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM

This issue happened to me at least 3 times in the 5 years I've had the car - each time no error code was registered and after switching it off and on again was running as sweetly as before.
And the garage couldn't do anything since no code was registered - but I'm not bothered about it as it's happened so rarely.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by markt1891
I managed to fix the underboost issue. I did two things. 1. There is a 90 degree hose on the top of the engine at the rear under the cover. This wasn't seated correctly on the fitting at one end. So I secured it with cable ties temporarily but will replace it. 2. The air filter was very dirty and looked like it had never been changed even though it's on 60k and has been serviced at a main dealer from new.

After doing those two things I towed my van home with no issues at all. In fact it's like a new car with much better performance and mpg.

Mark.
Can you take a foto of the hose, thanks

Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by CARRONDA
Can you take a foto of the hose, thanks
Here is the hose that was not secured correctly. I refitted it with cable ties.

Mark.

Attached Thumbnails outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power-image.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 AM

Mark.
2.0 tdi?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Mark.
the engine its the vw 2.0 tdi?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Many thanks for the tip, have confirmed it really is the same engine as the afternoon was seeing the smartphone and the picture appeared very small. So one more question, what happened to him the loss of strength ignited engine light? Thanks again, best regards

Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Default Engine Trouble

Hi guys, just been reading all the posts and sorry to hear all the trouble you are having. In the last few weeks or so i have been having a similar problem with my 2008 2.0 VW outlander. For 10 days while driving at a steady 60mph motorway my car starts what can only be described as a lurching back and forth for about 10-15 seconds then its ok but not the sudden lost of power you guys are having. Then on saturday on my way back from an air show i had to stop at a set of lights at a roundabout and the engine cut out, it took about a minute before it would start again, the last half a mile to my house was ok. On sunday i never drove it, but this morning it took a good few seconds longer to start than usual. when it did fire up the revs were all over the place, up and down for some 15 secs then stabilized. On the motorway it was lurching briefly then ok. when it got to my work i turned off the engine then back on to see if it idled ok and was fine. Then as i was almost home from work at the same roundabout as saturday it cut out again and took about a minute to restart. I also noticed as i parked up on my driveway some black soot marks on my garage door. I'm going to phone the dealer tomorrow and get it booked it as its still under there warranty. Have these MY 2.0 diesels got DPFs i'm not sure, has anyone else here had this type of problem.

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power