Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander (2008) clutch slipping in high gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Default Outlander (2008) clutch slipping in high gears

Evening All,

New to the forum, so I hope this is the right place to be posting.

I have recently taken ownership of a 2008 Outlander 2.2 Diamond with 29,500 miles. The car is great and I love driving it.

Have now had it 6 weeks now I have noticed on loner runs, on the motorway, the clutch slips when accelerating in high gears (4th, 5th and 6th). The clutch is fine any other time, not slipping in low gears or when towing 1,500kg.

Having done some reading I understand it is a known issue, attributed to contamination of the clutch from grease or transmission oil.

Really knee to get it sorted, but not wanting to be paying 800-1000GBP for a new clutch when it 4years old and only over 30,000 miles. The warranty does not cover wear components, but should cover an oil leak.

Has anyone else experience of this problem?

More importantly, have anyone successfully got Mitsubishi to confirm responsibly for the issue?

I hope you can offer some guidance.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kr,
Nick

Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 AM

I've a Citroen C-Crosser - basically a rebranded outlander with same gearbox and engine - and the issue turned out to be weakness in the springs of the DMF. The symptoms were exactly the same as yours.

Citroen replaced as under warranty and implied it was a known fault.

Forums / Problems and issues / Feels like clutch slip - but it isn't! - C-Crosser.org

It took the clutch to be removed and a new clutch kit fitted to sort it.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Hi Nick,

I too am new to the forum and have an 08 Outlander Diamonf with the same problem. Be good to know if its a known problem as I would rather not pay to have it fixed.

Regards

Paul

Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 AM

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you have the same issue.

In brief, the problem was resolved via the local dealership. I was very pleased this was done under the warranty.

Before speaking with the dealership directly, I emailed Mitsubishi Customer Services and expressed my concern regarding the possible cost of repair if not the endemic issue we read about. I had some positive feedback from Nadine Hayward suggesting once I have an appointment with the dealership she would raise my concerns.

I took my car back to Chris Variava (Derby) and they did the work in 4 days. They were also able to confirm the replacement part was of a different revision, a more robust spring in the damper. This gave me some comfort I will not be suffering the same issue in the future, at least while I have the car anyway!

The car was under Mitsubishi warranty (used car extended warranty package) but I believe this could have been resolved under an endemic clause anyway, thus should apply to any owner. That might take more persuasion though!

The dealership were open and honest, holding the old parts for my inspection. They had to hold them anyway for inspection by the warranty underwriters.

The car is now like new. I have since towed 3,000 miles around France without an issue. The car is a joy to drive. I am looking forward to the ice and snow to make use of its full potential.

If I can be of any further help, let me know....

Nick