Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2011 - MMCS does not remember last track from USB Mem stic

Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Question Outlander 2011 - MMCS does not remember last track from USB Mem stic

Hi!
For a while I've used 16GB Sony MicroVault USB memory stick with MMCS. Everything worked as it supposed to be. Last played track was kicking in on next startup (initial USB took quite few minutes as this memory stick was completelly full). Now I've changed to TDK 32GB and strange... on every startup it starts playing from the first track ! Is there something with formatting (cluster size) or it just does not like some memory stick producers? Have anyone seen such a behaviour or best, was able to fix it?

Regards,
Chris.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Default MMCS reverts to always play from track 1 on a USB thumb drive

Managed to repeat this problem: -
In my case bought a 32GB usb thumb drive.
Loaded it up and the mmcs used to play from where you last left off.
Had cause to altered the content of a folder to replace 1 track and add a couple of others.
The mmcs thereafter always started playing from track 1 failing to remember what track you were last listening to.

Proven Solution
===========
Looks like the mmcs indexes the tracks on the drive when it is read. If you then alter the content it can get confused because of a faulty index and reverts back to starting on track 1 whenever the drive is selected for playback.

What worked for me: -
I initially reformatted the drive on a PC and copied the tracks back on in what would have been a replication of the original folder structure.
the mmcs still took the huff and kept playing trak 1. :-(

I then reformatted the drive again created a new folder off the root of the drive and named it "MP3s". I then copied all the tracks back replicating the original folder structure except for them now being nested under the "new" "MP3s" folder. In addition I renamed some of the sub folders to ensure the folder structure no longer exactly matched the original

MMCS read the drive, I drilled down to a random folder, randomly selected a track about half way down the list.

After turning off the ignition, pausing and re-starting the MMCS read the drive remembered the last track played and commenced playing from where it was :-)

Untested Solution
-----------------
I reckon there is a fair chance the following will however work without the need to effectively wipe the drive and copy all the music tracks back on it (and the resulting time this all takes!).

Using a PC go to the top of the folder structure of the drive, create a new folder and move all other folders into it.
Optionally make some subtle name changes to 1 or more sub folders.
get the mmcs to read the drive. If it is sufficiently different in structure to the original the MMCS should fail to recognize it as something its previously read, re-indexes the tracks keeping it happy and allows it to remember again what track was playing when last used and start playing again from where you last left off.

The problem is if you alter the contents of the drive again and the changes are not major you may well have to repeat the above exercise. this time placing all folders below the top one to the top and then delete the now empty top folder and again perhaps make a few subtle changes to the names of some of the folders. ie you are simply altering the structure of the files and folders on the drive in a big enough way to force the MMCS into saying "I don't recognize this usb drive, it must be new, I need to index all the tracks"

My tested solution is probably over the top but as said the above untested solution remains a guess at this time.

If you do need to go for the drastic version of the solution with hind sight I would recommend initially testing things with half a dozen or so folders of audio files (ie about 6 albums). If you are looking at high volumes of files it reduces the time taken to see if the solution is working and with luck the MMCS unit will take a far shorter length of time to read through the usb drive than it would when loaded with a high volume of files.

A general tip is therefore to think carefully in advance as to how many audio files you really will realistically listen to on a usb thmb drive as opposed to loading it up just because you can. Then buy a drive of a suitable size. It will cost you less and initialize faster on the MMCS when accessed. A 500mb drive will load in about 10 seconds. a 32GB Drive could take 2-4 minutes to initialize on the MMCS before tracks can be played which could become annoying depending how regularly you would play music from the usb drive.

NB:If you want to re-format the drive on a PC it must be formatted as FAT/FAT16 or FAT32 the MMCS unit will NOT recognize a drive formatted as NTFS ie a Microsoft specific format.

Hope this helps some folks out.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Wow, I may just try this. Made some changes to my USB drive and it started doing the same exact thing, starting at song#1.......very annoying. Thanks for the tip!!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Location: Weston super Mare UK Drives a 2011 2.2 Diesel GX4 (Top Spec UK Model)
Smile Untested Solution

Did the untested solution..worked first time !
MMCS remembered the track it was playing before, I have 165 Albums on 12gb out of 16gb memory stick on random play.

Thanks for informing me of how to set it up.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM

I also did the 'untested' solution and it worked the first time around. Thanks again for the tip Moonraker1a!!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Talking Wow! It works!

I have 32GB drive loaded with 16GB of mp3s (approx 3000 files). After some moving and renaming in the root directory I can confirm, that now whenever MMCS starts it starts playing last played song. Which is great news!!!

Moonraker1a - you are the best! Thank you!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Worked like a charm !!!!! Much appreciated Moonracker1a

Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 AM

Alternatively (proven - works for me anyway).
Remove your preferred USB drive that is restarting from title 1 (in my case a 64 Gb with 55 albums folders)
Insert another USB drive with some songs on it - let it read and play. Remove.
Repeat above with two more USB drive. (This seems to reset the USB file reader memory or at least clear the "stored" file structure of the preferred USB drive from the USB module)
Re-insert preferred USB drive. Play on.