Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander clutch pedal issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Default Outlander clutch pedal issue

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm breaking rules. Haven't had time to digest the rules yet.

I have a 2008 Outlander 2 Warrior, the 2.0 Diesal engine. I noticed yesterday that the clutch peddle appeared to be a little spongy, and the but point being less than an inch off fully depressed.

It's booked into a Main Dealer tomorrow, but was serviced less than 1000 miles ago.

It has 24K miles on the clock.

There isn't any burning, just the clutch peddle offers no resistence and it's cuasing gear change issues.

I don't tow, and have never taken it offroad, and only used the 4WD option through the snow earlier in the year.

Any advice or pointers. Should this be covered under warrenty?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 AM

It could just be air in the clutch hydraulic system which requires bleeding out, but I would be surprised on a 08 car.

I've got a 08 Diamond 2.2 with similar milage to yours and have not had any clutch problems.

I have noticed on the German forum that some people have had to have replacement clutches at very low milage's, so it could need replacing. If it does I would be looking for Mitsubishi to offer to pay a proportion of the cost as a clutch should last more than 24K.

Good luck with the dealer.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM

I found out what the problem is/was. I checked the Service Checklist and on this it states that the brake/clutch fluid levels were checked and topped up as needed. Upon checking the clutch fluid level I found that the level was quite some way off the minimum level. I bought some DOT 4, poured it in and bingo... Clutch operates normally again.

Spoke to the Mitsubishi Dealer who seemed to be completely apathetic to this. Advised that I'm now concerned as to what else they've charged me for and haven't done... they're not interested stating only that it must be a leak. There are no leaks. I've no tell tail signs under the car, or under the drivers footwell carpet. Basically they didn't do a proper service on my car.... Will be checking the other things that I can check myself shortly and will monitor the level of the break fluid....

Bl00dy garages... Everytime I take a perfectly working car in, shortly afterwards something goes wrong.... Coincidence...I don't believe in coincidence. I'm happy to name the Dealer if anyone is interested.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm glad you found the problem and it doesn't seem like anything major.

I would keep an eye on the level over the next few days/weeks because normally the fluid level should not drop unless there is a leak.

If you do notice it drop again I would get in back to the dealer for them to check the hydraulic system. It could be leaking onto the clutch plate and be getting burnt off, have you noticed the clutch slip when put under heavy load?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by chutney374
Spoke to the Mitsubishi Dealer...
You misspelled stealership

Old 10-02-2010, 11:48 AM

HI. i've got an Outlander April 2008 new. Clutch disintegrated on the M6 3 weeks ago; only 53k miles. Came home on AA truck. ist time in 40 yrears of driving. Tool 11 hours to get back to Kent!!! Dealer said that he has replaced clutches after only 3k!! My daughters have Ka's; new clutches after well over 100,000 miles. My Land Rover discovery was similar. What is wrong with Outlander clutches? Anyone else have similar experiences?