Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander electric trailer brake hookup

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Default Outlander electric trailer brake hookup

Hi Guys

I just bought a new trailer for my 2009 outlander that has electric brakes. My previous 5x10 didnt have this feature so my current 4 prong connector is useless.

Are there any issues hooking up a aftermarket controller to the outlander and do you need to go to the dealer for this type of upgrade? I have already called a few trailer places and they said its easy but cost close to $400 canadian which seems crazy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 PM

I've never done it yet, but look through the Aftermarket Hitch Install thread in the above sticky threads. I'm pretty sure they cover it there.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
tcp
Default I've got mine wired

I did mine last year. If you already have the 4 wire, you've got the majority done. You need to run a wire, with an auto reset breaker, from the battery into the cabin. This will provide power for the controller to send to the brakes. Inside the cabin you need a trigger wire from the brake lights and a ground in addition to the power wire you just ran. These three are the inputs into the brake controller. From the controller, you run a wire out back by your 4 wire connector. You then need to get a proper 7 pin plug and connect the original 4 wires, along with the new brake wire into the 7 pin plug. I would update the ground wire to a heavier gauge as well, to deal with the current needed from the brakes. Each brake can draw up to 6amps. 6x2wheels = 12 amps just for the brakes. look at the link at the top of the forum for more info. Including a tekonsha prodigy controller, $400 wouldn't be too far off.

Originally Posted by snookey318
Hi Guys

I just bought a new trailer for my 2009 outlander that has electric brakes. My previous 5x10 didnt have this feature so my current 4 prong connector is useless.

Are there any issues hooking up a aftermarket controller to the outlander and do you need to go to the dealer for this type of upgrade? I have already called a few trailer places and they said its easy but cost close to $400 canadian which seems crazy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Default Where did you run your wires?

Where did you run the battery wire to controller onto battery and through firewall? And where did you run wire from controller to rear end? What gauge wire did you ground with?

thanks!

Originally Posted by tcp
I did mine last year. If you already have the 4 wire, you've got the majority done. You need to run a wire, with an auto reset breaker, from the battery into the cabin. This will provide power for the controller to send to the brakes. Inside the cabin you need a trigger wire from the brake lights and a ground in addition to the power wire you just ran. These three are the inputs into the brake controller. From the controller, you run a wire out back by your 4 wire connector. You then need to get a proper 7 pin plug and connect the original 4 wires, along with the new brake wire into the 7 pin plug. I would update the ground wire to a heavier gauge as well, to deal with the current needed from the brakes. Each brake can draw up to 6amps. 6x2wheels = 12 amps just for the brakes. look at the link at the top of the forum for more info. Including a tekonsha prodigy controller, $400 wouldn't be too far off.