Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

PHEV Outlander real world MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Default PHEV Outlander real world MPG?

Hey All...I wish there was a SubForum specifically for the PHEV Outlander, but alas there is not. I'm looking to buy a used Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Please contact me if anyone has one for sale. I'm in Southern California, but can travel if the price is right:-)

Can anyone recommend a different site specifically for the PHEV?
Anyone had an Outlander PHEV and a full size NOT SPORT Montero? Can the Outlander PHEV keep up with the Montero in the snow and off-road?

I currently have a 2012 Prius PlugIn nearing 300k miles, a 99 full size montero with 205k, and a 2017 Prius Prime with 90k. I'm really thinking about consolidating into an Outlander PHEV, and only having one or maybe two cars. I live way up in the snowy SoCal mountains and work in Los Angeles....it's an 80 mile each way commute, where I have access to charging at both ends. What type of real world gas mileage should I expect from an Outlander PHEV? The 12Prius gets 52mpg on that commute, and the 17Prime gets 63mpg. So, it would be very expensive for me to switch to something getting 25mpg or less. Anyone think I could get 40mpg on an 80 mile drive with a full charge in an outlander PHEV?

Also...
What do you love about your Outlander PHEV?
What do you hate about your Outlander PHEV?

And, I'm not looking to do any black diamond OHV trails, but I have to drive on rough, steep, unpaved, and uneven surfaces daily, and have to deal with snow. How has your factory OEM Outlander PHEV suspension held up if you have similar driving conditions? What are your thoughts on the 4x4 system? Does it really have a 4low that you've actually used? How is the differential lock? I have to engage the "center lock" on my base 99 Montero daily to reverse into it's parking spot.

Is the Outlander PHEV easy to maintain? I have maintained three Prii for over 500k miles. I find the Prius is very easy to maintain. The engine compartment is roomy. Spark plugs are relatively easy to access. CVT trans fluid and oil change are simple. The Mitsu Montero on the other hand is ridiculously hard to maintain. How's the Outlander PHEV maintenance wise? Any obvious problems that they all have that I should be on the lookout for when buying used?

Thanks in advance my fellow Mitsu enthusiasts!