Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Is it possible to convert an AWD 04 Outlander to only FWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Default Is it possible to convert an AWD 04 Outlander to only FWD

Good day,

I’m looking for any information I can find regarding the title question.

The rear differential in my roommates 04 Outlander is damaged and they’ve offered to let me repair it in place of paying rent for the month which Would be great.

It makes a very loud clunk that shakes the whole car at 1 mph.The vehicle is already salvaged and they are looking for the cheapest fix they can get that will still be safe and roadworthy.

I have a 99 CRV that I’m pretty conversant with and I know on those you can just remove the prop shaft etc and it will function as only fwd just fine.

Its winter and I have no shelter to work under so anything that can help me or save me time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wadestar

Old 01-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by WadeStar
Good day,

I’m looking for any information I can find regarding the title question.

The rear differential in my roommates 04 Outlander is damaged and they’ve offered to let me repair it in place of paying rent for the month which Would be great.

It makes a very loud clunk that shakes the whole car at 1 mph.The vehicle is already salvaged and they are looking for the cheapest fix they can get that will still be safe and roadworthy.

I have a 99 CRV that I’m pretty conversant with and I know on those you can just remove the prop shaft etc and it will function as only fwd just fine.

Its winter and I have no shelter to work under so anything that can help me or save me time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wadestar
My thought is "maybe". You might be able to remove the driveline but if the rear differential or CV joints are bad then removing the driveline won't achieve anything because the rear axle is still spinning when you are moving.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:41 AM

Yes, I understand I’d have to remove the most of the rear cv axle assemblies as well as the prop shaft and maybe the whole diff too.

The outermost part of the rear cv’s probably needs to stay to hold the hub together with the axle nut.

I’m looking for info like; will the transfer case or abs react negatively to doing something like this?

Old 01-12-2020, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by WadeStar
Yes, I understand I’d have to remove the most of the rear cv axle assemblies as well as the prop shaft and maybe the whole diff too.

The outermost part of the rear cv’s probably needs to stay to hold the hub together with the axle nut.

I’m looking for info like; will the transfer case or abs react negatively to doing something like this?
Most likely "yes" to both systems. ETACS will likely give you grief along with traction/abs errors. If you have access to ETACS via MUT III and it's possible you might be able to turn off AWD and traction control. You can't disable ABS,. You're likely to get a bunch of codes and it might place the transmission into "limp" mode. Or nothing may happen. But I wouldn't take that bet.