Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Problems with 2003 Outlander AWD XLS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Default Problems with 2003 Outlander AWD XLS

I have had my 2003 for almost 10 years and have had few problems that I was not able to correct myself or with the help of the dealer (re: the radiator fan relay recall). This is my second 2003 Outlander AWD XLS that I have owned (the first was totaled in an accident) and one problem that was there in both vehicles was that the vent blows warm air virtually all the time (but especially in the summer) once the engine has warmed up. The vent should bring fresh ambient temp air from outside,but instead it seems as if it is first drawn through the heated engine compartment and warmed to an uncomfortable high temp before being blown into the passenger compartment. It doenst smell bad or anything, but during the summer, (fall and spring too if its warm enough) it is outside than the air coming through the vents. Does anyone else have this issue or just me?

My rear suspension has begun to squeak now as well and it is getting worse. From the research I have done here it sounds like a common problem and I guess it is the control arm bushings that need replacing. Has anyone done this themselves or paid anyone to do it . If so how much can I expect to pay for this?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM

No help on the first, except that it sounds like the air mixing doors in the hvac system are not working properly-could be bad selector switch or actuator.

On the second, try silicone spray on the bushings. Worked on a squeeky front end on a Dodge Dakota that I had.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Banned

The A/C ducts behind the dash has a little flap in it where it's supposed to block off air flow to the heater core. I can only assume that the POS cheapo plastic flap Mitsubishi used to divert air flow, doesn't actually seal. As a result, the air pressure created by driving forces air through the heater core and ultimately through your vents.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Hey i just had both rear upper control arms and one lower link replaced on my car. It cost close to 1500 for that work......the parts are the killer because none are aftermarket.