Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Pss. Purchase 2005 Outlander Limited

Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Default Pss. Purchase 2005 Outlander Limited

As the title says, my mom is considering the purchase of a 2005 Outlander limited.

Anyway, my main question is are there any common problems wioth this car in particular? Any common long-term problems we should be aware of?

I apologize if you get this alot or if this is a redundant post.
Any input will be much appreciated. Or if this here somewhere already please let me know and i'll check it out.

A thread i made about this on saabcentral can be found here.

Here is an appropriate excerpt written by me:
"The oultander, however, was pretty nice. It's a 2005 Outlander Limited. It has just over 50k miles with a price tag of 13,900, firm. The leather felt pretty damn good and the plastics were of decent quality. My mom is trading in her Volvo c70 convert (turbocharged) so she is definatly sacrificing some (a lot of) speed. That being said, the outlander's acceleration was decent (4 cyl).
It felt very smooth and the turning radius was far better than my mom's c70 (though, that's not saying much). It was fairly roomy and pretty confortable. It is black with black window tint (after-market) with a black leather interior. It has a pretty roomy cargo area (what is the trunk of a hatchback/SUV called?) and roof racks. We have a frined of the family who is a mechanic; He came with us to look at it.
We both noticed a certain whine in the engine bay. Simeon (the mechanic) says it's probably a bearing to one of the drive belt's pulleys. Car sense will replace that and the battery (just because we want them to) and anything else that is showing wear.
So after car sense spruces it up (it just came in, they haven't even washed it yet) they are going to let him drive it to his shop and put it up on a lift to check it out thoroughly (before we buy).

Edit: it's a 2005. it says cloth seats but its really charcoal leather

The history report says something about a loan/lien situation. Does this mean anything in terms of reliability?

Here:

Below are the specific definitions for events that appear in this vehicle's report.
More information is available in the full AutoCheck glossary.

TermSection LocationDefinitionLoan/Lien Vehicle Use and EventCheck A loan/lien is the legal right to take and hold or sell the vehicle of a debtor as security or payment for a debt. Normally, a vehicle will have a lien due to a loan or unpaid repair bill against the vehicle. Check with the seller to ensure that the lien has been satisfied.

Duplicate Title Vehicle Use and EventCheck The vehicle had a duplicate title issued by the DMV."

I apologize, but the above hyperlinks no longer work; Carsense took the car off of the site bacause we are seriously considering the purchase.

P.S. i am a relatively long-term member of SaabCentral.com
That's right, I own a Saab. A '97 900s 2.3 na convertible to be precise.

Last edited by sankuspr; 01-19-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM

2003-2006 Outlanders are good and reliable cars with distinctive look. 2003 Outlander had an anemic 2.4l engine rated approximately 140HP but for 2004 year Mitsu bumped the numbers to respectable 160HP. Anyway, actually a close friend of mine purchased a used 2004 Outlander in November of 2008 with 60,000 miles and so far it has been troublefree and he has been everywhere with it, from Canada to Florida. Outlanders sold on US soil have always been made in Japan, plus Consumer Reports ranks previous Outlanders very high when it comes to predicted long term reliability. One thing though, 13900 (I assume US dollars) is a pretty steep price from it, you can get 2007 Outlanders for around that. Buddy of mine a year ago purchased a 2004 Outlander XLS for $9000.