Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Put summer tires with TPMS back on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Default Put summer tires with TPMS back on.

Hello,
I've read quite a few threads on TPMS subject, but can't find one answer.
The summer tires have TPMS, my winter tires don't. I had to reset the warning all winter long. I'm going to have the dealer put back my summer tires soon (with TPMS) during scheduled maintenance (oil & rotation). They said the TPMS will have to be reprogrammed ($30).
What I don't understand, if the computer was not reprogrammed when I put my winter tires on, why does it have to be reprogrammed for the summer tires so the warning goes away?
The tires are the same, with the sensor IDs still paired with the system, I guess. Is it because of the tire rotation?

Thanks

[Update]
Just had the summer tires put on without TPMS reset. 5 minutes of driving, the warning is gone.

Last edited by bitmolot; 03-22-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 PM

Great question, I'll be in the same situation at the end of this month. Dealership tells me I'll need to re-calibrate the sensors. Sounds like a line to me. Does anyone know for sure???

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Default Summer tires

Hi

Spring of 2009

I had my summer tires put back on at the dealer, they never mentioned recalibration
or offered it. TPMS warning light went out within 15 seconds of leaving the place.
I never actually thought there would be issues. I am with you, tired of resetting display panel
Spring is getting close!! jerry

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM

why not just have them put the tires on and decline them to be reprogrammed. If they continue to cause problems, ask them how much it would cost. Then call to a major tire shop like a firestone, goodyear, or National Tire & Battery and see if they can reprogram. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
tcp
Default Bull

I have winter wheels without TPMS and the stock ones with the system. When I put the summer ones back on in the spring, the TPMS works fine, and I rotate the wheels every change. It usually takes a few drives for the light/warning to go away, but after that everything is fine. They may be preying on people because it does take a few drives for the warnings to stop. This is my third winter doing this. 2007 LS AWD.

Originally Posted by bitmolot
Hello,
I've read quite a few threads on TPMS subject, but can't find one answer.
The summer tires have TPMS, my winter tires don't. I had to reset the warning all winter long. I'm going to have the dealer put back my summer tires soon (with TPMS) during scheduled maintenance (oil & rotation). They said the TPMS will have to be reprogrammed ($30).
What I don't understand, if the computer was not reprogrammed when I put my winter tires on, why does it have to be reprogrammed for the summer tires so the warning goes away?
The tires are the same, with the sensor IDs still paired with the system, I guess. Is it because of the tire rotation?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys, I figured I would have them put on and see what happens.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
I have winter wheels without TPMS and the stock ones with the system. When I put the summer ones back on in the spring, the TPMS works fine, and I rotate the wheels every change. It usually takes a few drives for the light/warning to go away, but after that everything is fine. They may be preying on people because it does take a few drives for the warnings to stop. This is my third winter doing this. 2007 LS AWD.
Question I've got the Opposite. I put winters on my stock rims, so going to Summer tires and rims Im not putting TPMS on.

Is there a way to disable the warning/signal I just thought about it and I hope its not going to be going off all summer or will it not even recognize that there is no TPMS ?