Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Rear-view Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:46 AM
Default Rear-view Camera

Right now, test driving the RDX, CX-7, and CR-V.... oh, and of course the new Outlander which is in the lead.

But, I'm let down that they did not include a back-up camera. I have an MDX with the camera and it's indispensable. I've tried parking without using the camera and I end up like 5 feet away from the car behind me. With the backup cam I can get within a centimeter.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a way to add on this option or hack it in somehow? That would all depend on the head unit and who makes it, but I have no info on this. Even if someone does figure this out, I'm going to need to have a third party do it for me.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Default RE: Rear-view Camera

Backup camera, oh yes, they are an aftermarket product also and just about any competent audio shop can install them for you. There are a few packages that have included, the cam, monitor, and all the necessary wiring. Most of the time, it costs less to go with an aftermarket one than buying it with the car as a package.
Some aftermarket units are stand alones where others can be added to an aftermarket GPS/DVD/TV monitor.

I've thought about adding one to my car just because it's hard to see exactly where you are in my car because the backend is tall compared to how low my seat is. Not that I can't parallel without it, but it sure would be nifty.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Yes, I realize you can add it as an aftermarket option, but can you add it to the existing Navigation system that comes with the Outlander?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
JMC

Yes, you can....I'm going to use the Pioneer one I had on my '03 Outlander. BTW....is it that important you have one? I don't believe you need one to park.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:22 PM

you could also turn your head.........

Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM

Very cool to know, thanks. Let us know how you end up hooking the camera up to the Nav unit when you do it.

And no, I don't need one, but it's really convenient. Like I said before, I can get much closer to other cars and walls without getting paranoid that I'm going to hit them. [:-]

Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
JMC

I hope people don't just use this as a crutch to park....

Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM

A friend of mine has an aftermarket NAVI unit which has an aux. input (3 RCA jacks I beleive they're called...yellow, red and white). He bought this nifty wireless camera which mounted on the rear of his trailblazer and had a reciever inside that plugged into the three jacks. Thought that might be of help. But like someone said, just turn your head and use mirrors.