Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

S-AWC performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Default S-AWC performance

Can someone help me out, I have a 2010 outlander XLS and had it for about a year and been trying to find some info on it for performance settings. What I want to know is what settings does the car need to be in to do track courses, what setting would give you the best lap time? What setting would give you the best quarter mile time and what setting for you to do corners as fast as it can? Also what I mean about settings is should it be in tarmac with asc on or lock with asc off?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:20 AM

Without knowing any actual figures I'll give you my best guess. There is going to be more loss of power due to friction at the center diff when using AWD simply because the power has to go through more bits and pieces. The most notable differences will be between ECO, which is 2wd, and Normal/Snow which are AWD. The latter 2 modes always have some torque sent to the rear, but Snow will always have more. I don't know how much of a difference it'll make between Normal and Snow, honestly.

This would suggest that the most power you're able to put to the wheels would be in 2wd (ECO). If your tires slip though, that means your grip is the limiting factor and AWD will allow you to spread the torque to avoid this for the best off the line speed.

With regard to track courses you're probably better off with AWD just so you can put the power down to all 4 wheels when at the limits of grip and powering out of a corner. ASTC is best left on. Outies are anything but powerful so the only time it'll really kick in is off the line or when you're losing the car. The way I see it is disabling ASTC may shave 0.1 secs at the risk of totalling your car. Your call, but it has saved my *** several times in the wet and snow at least.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 AM

Thank you so much for your insight and yes I never turn it off I was just wondering about it. So for a quarter mile run it's better to have it in tarmac and for track course have it in lock? Btw I have a 2010 outtie xls so it doesn't have eco mode just tarmac snow and lock. I only turn it off in empty snowy parking lots lol

Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM

They rename it with every generation haha. My 2007 calls them 2wd, Auto, and Lock. The names change, but the modes behave the same pretty much.
And yeah, I'd stick with tarmac for the 1/4 (unless your wheels slip for more then 1/10 of a sec or so) and lock for the course.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 PM

Yeah that is weird, apparently 2010-2013 is only suv/cuv to have tarmac mode but I'm not 100% sure about that. Also with the s-awc I heard that tarmac mode is fwd until it detects slip then sends power to the back. If that is true would the asc stop the power from going to the back? Not sure if you would know that question. Thanks for answering my other questions also.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Pretty sure tarmac is front wheel exclusive.
Snow is anywhere from 80/20 to 60/40 front/rear torque split.
Lock is rear biased, think it goes from 40/60 to 30/70.

I honestly don't know how ASC affects the algorithms that determine the torque split. All I can say for sure is it'll cut power if it detects wheelspin.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 PM

Wow I didn't know that for the lock setting I thought it was 50/50 at most. Leaning more power to the front wheels than the rear in lock setting. So pretty much asc off for the 1/4 mile and track courses and have it on for the roads! Thanks so much for the reply I was starting to think nobody had the answer to my question. Thank you for your much needed help!

Last edited by Brentskii; 04-27-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:54 PM

So in lock mode I won't hurt anything if I keep it in that mode, I'll just experience the full experience of the s-awc? I do know it's more wear and tear on the tires and more fuel consumption but when it comes to the engine and transmission I won't hurt or damage anything?