Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

service required - abs message error

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Keron Francois
Got this message after the under carriage made slight contact with the ramp while getting under the car checked out. Any ideas as to why im getting this msg?
As stated above you should really get it scanned at a dealer or a part shop if they can scan ABS codes...

I've had snow caught in a wheel that caused my ABS light to come on but once the blockage was cleared and I restarted the car it cleared itself...

If the problem is still there after restart it's possible you damaged a sensor (or the magnet it picks up) or broke a wire or pulled out a connector...

Best bet is to get a scan first...

It could be the brake fluid is low or the battery is low too but if you actually made contact with something I'd bet on a sensor unless you have seriously reduced braking...

Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 AM

Kind of odd that a low battery would cause that, because once the alternator is spinning, voltage should be at 13.8v+ for the system. If wires on the battery were corroded, it's possible to throw that code.

But as said, first thing to check is low brake fluid. Then check the wiring and sensors. It's also possible a wheel bearing is bad, causing too much play and moving too far away for the sensor to read consistently.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:29 AM

That first dude may end up having a bad alternator in the end anyway... I had someone replace a perfectly good battery after I told them not to and everything ran fine for about a month or two before the car stopped working again... Eventually they replaced the alternator and everything was fixed.

I've had weird codes when I drained my battery with lights on, car off.

This second guy, could be any of those things.