Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

SST gearbox 'clunk'

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Default SST gearbox 'clunk'

I have a 2010 Outlander Juro with the SST auto box. Very occasionally, when it's shifting from second into third, there's a solid THUD! And, sometimes, when shifting down from fourth to third, same thing. You can actually feel the 'bump' through the tranny.
Soft or hard acceleration makes no difference. Sport or normal mode, same issue. It might not happen for a couple of weeks, then twice in one day...so intermittent.
Mileage is 45,000 mls, well serviced.
Anyone have similar issues, and anyone know of the solution?
Overall very impressed with the car! Fabulous and great value.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM

I'm guessing you are referring to a traditional automatic transmission. Never heard Juro or SST used with the Outlander.

Anyway, the only thing I can suggest is getting a transmission fluid analysis. Many times, they can determine what particulates are in the fluid and suggest what may be failing.

Do you have any maintenance history with it? My manual states fluid should be changed every 30k miles...though a dealership said 45k miles is more appropriate. I also change all fluid out, a drain/fill only gets 2.3 quarts out of 8 quarts changed. I do notice that shifting is smoother after a fluid change.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:27 PM

The Juro is a limited edition in the UK, 2.2 diesel with the SST gearbox.

Thanks for the suggestion re an auto tranny oil change, I'll have that done at the next service.
Cheers.