Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

steering column noise???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Default steering column noise???

OK, need some help.

I have a 09 Outie with 30k KM on it. I have gone over one NASTY pothole which caused a huge metallic clank on the front passenger side. I felt sick to my stomach . Fast forward to yesterday. Hit another NASTY pothole same wheel....Same noise.

Today, I go to drive my outie, and when I turn the wheels to navigate a parking lot or something, I am hearing scraping coming from the steering column! It's like when a part of the steering wheel passes a certain spot, it scrapes (and scrapes on the way back to center as well). It just started today. Could these two things be related?

BTW< ever since that first pothole, I have had some odd front end noise when going over a dip in the road - and it sounds like a metallic chirp from the passenger front side..

Any thoughts on this. Mitsu said they could find nothing wrong with the wheel or suspension after the first pothole...

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 PM

The only thing I've noticed on my 08 ES is sometimes when I'm traveling very slow (like 10-15mph) and turn the wheel I can hear a slight noise. To me it sounds like something loose inside the wheel.

I do not hear the noise when traveling at normal speeds on city streets and making turns. I keep forgetting to mention it to the dealer when taking it in for service mostly because it only occurs at very slow speeds and not every time.