Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Steering Column Rattle - 01 Montero Sport Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Default Steering Column Rattle - 01 Montero Sport Limited

Hello,

My 2001 Montero Sport Limited has a problem. The steering column rattles while driving and It is very annoying. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I just talked to my friend who used to work at Mitsubishi and he said it was common and there is an updated steering column.

I cannot afford to pay a rediculous price for another steering column and it frustrates me that mitsubishi has not made this a recall. Have any of you been able to fix this rattling sound without being eaten alive by a dealership?

Would installing a used steering column off another Montero sport possibly fix this problem? Any maguiver tips out there? Will an 01 montero sport steering columnfit an 01 montero sport LIMITED?

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Steering Column Rattle - 01 Montero Sport Limited

Mine does it too. I have an '01 Montero Sport LS and it started doing it at about 50,000 miles. I have driven it 200,000 miles now and it really hasn't gotten any worse, I just turn up the radio.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Default RE: Steering Column Rattle - 01 Montero Sport Limited

that is a common problem on the sport. what you replace is called an intermidiate shaft. it connects the actual steering column to the gearbox. it is realatively cheap. around 50 bucks. most dealers stock them. its a little difficult to replace due to space limits, if you have small hands, its not a problem. i have replaced alot of them. i have heard that you can get small hose clamps and put them around the flex joint, which is where the shaft connects on both sides and tighten the clamps up and it helps, sometimes even cures it. something to try. but replace the intermidiate shaft for a sure fix!! good luck!! greg...