Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Stereo problems and a little more

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Default Stereo problems and a little more

Hey all, first time poster here and wondering if I could get a little help.

I recently purchased my first Mitsubishi while taking advantage of the strong Canadian dollar. (I'm a Canuck).

After scouring the internet for months, I finally settled on a used 07 Outlander LS 4WD. It is in amazing shape and has a few extra trim touches that the previous owner put on.

I had it shipped to me from the US and have had a few problems in the first couple days which I'm currently dealing with.

1. The battery seems to have a constant draw on it even when the car is off. So much so that the battery will go dead after sitting for lengthy periods of time. Especially in the cold weather we have right now. The truck driver that shipped it up here had to boost it a few times when needing to move it off and on his car loader. After charging the battery, he decided to unhook it until he needed to start it again. When he hooked it up, it would start no problem. Obviously something is drawing off the battery while the car is off and the battery is hooked up. Any ideas?

2. The dealer I purchased it from only sent me one key with the Anti Theft chip in it and the other key was only good for the doors. Wouldn't new cars come with two keys that can actually start the car? I'm waiting to hear back from him on this one. If I lose this key, I'm pooched!

3. The Stereo - This car was advertised to have a 6 CD changer and Sirius Satellite radio. Upon arrival, I noticed that the stereo had a load button for CDs and also a SAT button for Satellite radio. However, the stereo will only accept one CD and pushing the load button as it says to in the manual, does nothing. It doesn't even light up. Secondly, the stereo won't go into SAT mode when pushing the button. It will scroll through the AM and FM bands, but doesn't go into SAT. Because of this, i can't see my Sirius ID number and can't subscribe. Should these two features be working? I have buttons to select different discs in the changer, but it won't accept more than one disc. I thought that maybe it was advertised as a 6 CD changer with Satellite, but was actually just the base model that accepts only one disc and no satellite. Why then would all the buttons be there? Any ideas?

4. Lastly, the air recirculation button doesn't work. The rear defrost button and AC button on the controls work, light up and beep when pressed, however the recirc. button does not. Any ideas? Fuse? I have no clue why it woudln't work.

If anyone can lend any info regarding the stereo and recirc. button issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Default RE: Stereo problems and a little more

You have: 140-watt CD/MP3 player with six speakers, Digital Signal Processing, speed-compensated volume and EQ system in your car..

But you should be pre-wired for sat..

If you need the 6CD, you should be able to find one on Ebay or maybe someone who has upgraded their 6CD to Nav (like me.).

If you had Sat, you would have 4 sat groups avail.. The aux (look on the back of front center arm rest at bottom for little door) will enable if you hold the button that says AUX for a few secs.

Old

Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM

#2 The car comes with two identical keys.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 AM

Yea, sounds like you got fleeced.

I have no idea about #1. But just be sure that you can not see any lights anywhere that stay on, and that nothing, like the stereo, works when you have the car off.

#2. I am sure that when the car was new, it had 2 keys, but when the previous owner sent sold the car, they probably forgot to bring the other one, or lost it. You are stuck with having to pay the dealer to make you a new one (I think about $100)

#3. You have the regular stereo, no 6 disc and no nav. They just lied to you, or they mistook what they wrote. I would call them and talk to them about it, because that is false advertising.

#4, again, I don't really know for sure, mine works just fine, press the button and the light comes on, although I haven't tested it in the winter, only in the summer with the A/C on, maybe it only works with the a/c, I am not sure, but you can try that? Also, https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_159763/tm.htmhas the links for the service manual, maybe there is info about the fuses that could help.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 PM

The battery could be dead. DId you try a new battery? I know the battery has something like a 3 year warranty. Possibly something got damaged from jumping it so many times as well. The alternater could be going bad and not charging the battery too.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 PM

I spoke to the seller and he told me that he thought it was a 6cd changer because of the present buttons, but didn't realize it was just pre wired for it. He's refunding me the upgrade difference between the two according to edmunds.com

As for the battery, I can't see it being the alternator as the battery charges just fine and passed a load test. If you remove the battery cable, the battery holds the charge just fine until you hook it up again. It's only when the battery is hooked up and the car is left off for lengthy periods of time that it drains.