Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Strange Service Reminder Reset Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Default RE: Strange Service Reminder Reset Behavior

I assure youthat I would not risk my Outlander on low quality products. I take maintenance seriously..especially on a vehicle I plan on keeping until I pay it off (but I say that every time LOL). I'm the type that put synthetic oil in car with a 3 year lease.

My valves are just as quiet or quieter as they were before I changed my oil. I made a special effort to check this as it was mentioned in the forum

Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Default RE: Strange Service Reminder Reset Behavior

Mine is also showing some weird behavior. It was set at 12000km when I bought the car....today it pinged at me for maintenance at 7700km. When I reset it, it went to a 16xxxkm and when I did it again it went to add another 28xxxkm. Any thoughts?

I also cannot get into the user options menu. Looked in the manual, but it doesn't help. Is there a special trick to it?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM

I just disable mine, less trouble.

I had that issue with my 2008 and same with 2011.
I contact Mitsu to tell them there is a serious issue with the Maintenance reminder system.

when you reset and the millage tell you 6000 KM 12 month, then you reset again its 12 000 24 month its because its all F*ctup, lol.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by puddy
You read my post wrong the oil filter info was just an addition and nothing to do with the service reminder.

All I was trying to say is you should not fit an aftermarket oil filter on a Mitsubishi Engine. If you do you risk damaging your engine and it will not be fixed under warranty. Mitsubishi oil filters have a pressure release valve, If youfit an aftermarket filter it may expload or at worst seize the engine. Is it worth saving $5 also the valves become noisy as well

Puddy
Not really relevant as it is a UK vehicle and therefore only 3 year warranty.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by armymen
I just disable mine, less trouble.

I had that issue with my 2008 and same with 2011.
I contact Mitsu to tell them there is a serious issue with the Maintenance reminder system.

when you reset and the millage tell you 6000 KM 12 month, then you reset again its 12 000 24 month its because its all F*ctup, lol.
It's a stupid system. Mitsubishi dealer has never been able to reset mine properly. I have tried it all, so have they. So I ignore it. I use the reminder in my MMCS instead.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by puddy
You read my post wrong the oil filter info was just an addition and nothing to do with the service reminder.

All I was trying to say is you should not fit an aftermarket oil filter on a Mitsubishi Engine. If you do you risk damaging your engine and it will not be fixed under warranty. Mitsubishi oil filters have a pressure release valve, If youfit an aftermarket filter it may expload or at worst seize the engine. Is it worth saving $5 also the valves become noisy as well

Puddy
I know this is an old post, but for the sake of correcting wildly innaccurate information...I gotta. Unless the engine has the pressure release valve in the engine, all filters have pressure release valves. That's why there are so many different sizes of filters. Each oil filter has its own volume and pressure that the valve opens up. Wouldn't it be extremely cost effective for all engines to take the same filter? filter prices would come down drastically.

Some people try to find an "oversized"/taller filter that has a larger volume, which would increase filter media. But you also need to be aware of the pressure that the valve opens up.

Perhaps in other countries this could be an issue, but at least over here...if you find a compatible filter, you are good to go.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:33 AM
Default Reset before warning indicator

Can the service indicator be reset before the warning light. Want to do a full service now still got 1500 and 3 months on indicator. Tks

Old 07-12-2020, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Toppie4x4
Can the service indicator be reset before the warning light. Want to do a full service now still got 1500 and 3 months on indicator. Tks
I think there is some confusion as to how or what the service light reset does.
in fact I wouldn't call the button sequence a reset at all.

It seems the button sequence is a service reminder skip button.

Basically if you don't reset the light at the actual service reminder it will continue to count down as if it had been reset.
The procedure seems to be to CLEAR the light not actually reset the timer.

For example in my case I went over the service reminder by a few thousand miles.I CLEARED the light and it still stated 2700 miles and 2 months. This is because the service reminder continued to countdown to the next service even though the service light was on.
It looks like as soon as the light comes on it begins counting down to the next service schedule. (Almost as if you had actually CLEARED the light)

If you do the procedure again and CLEAR again you are basically telling the system to skip the next service reminder, so it will add the remainder of the current schedule to the next.
So for example my schedule is 10000 miles/12 months.
The current remainder on the service schedule is 2700/2 months. if I CLEAR the upcoming service reminder it will skip this reminder and will remind at the next one due after that and it will add what's left in the current schedule to the next.
So 2700/2 months becomes 12700/14 months as below:
​​​​​​2700/2months + 10000/12 months = 12700/14.

That is because you've simply told the system NOT to remind you of the upcoming service, but skip it and remind you of the next.
If you do the procedure again and CLEAR again it will skip another scheduled service reminder.
So 2700/2 becomes 12700/14 plus another 10000/12 which equals 22700/26 because you have told the system to skip the next 2 reminders .

Notice I keep using the word CLEAR and not reset. As you are CLEARING the reminder NOT resetting the schedule.

Basically if you do a service now before it's due and do the CLEAR procedure, you will simply skip the upcoming due service reminder. The set schedule will continue to countdown as normal irrespective.

I guess it does this to keep tabs on the service schedules the customer is required to keep to for warranty purposes.
The service centre can use it to see if the schedules have been adhered to.

It can be 'reset' with the right equipment.

Last edited by ashyt16; 12-11-2022 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:28 PM

Finnaly someone who made sense with this non sense , thanks Ahyt16 :-)