Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Switching to sport shift while on D

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Default RE: Switching to sport shift while on D

ORIGINAL: bnilguy

If you use the paddles in standard 'D', it will still shift.

The Outtie is smart enough not to let you downshift if it will over-rev...besides there's a fuel cutoff once you hit the redline, which are set conservatively anyways
Quick question for you.

If Im in D, and I use my paddles shifters and go up gear, it will shift as well? If it is, thats kind of cool, helps me save gas, and in the meanwhile, dont need to pay attention to downshifting.

Thanks
SR

Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 AM

If Im in D, and I use my paddles shifters and go up gear, it will shift as well? If it is, thats kind of cool, helps me save gas, and in the meanwhile, dont need to pay attention to downshifting.
Who can stop you in your experience ?
But I think paddles (manual mode) need for some speeding, not for fuel economy. I meanD mode designed for it.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM

I am the PROUD owner of the 03 Outtie, and love my little beast!

With regard to the new model, well - I would expect that the sports mode shift works effectively the same as the earlier models.
I use mine all the time, from manually knocking back for a quick overtaking maneuvre, to slowing down for a red light. Offroad it is great, for keeping revs up when climbing rocky or muddy slopes, to keeping the speed down when descending the same.

The 03 model has a rev limiter (what new vehicle doesn't?) which cuts in at 6200RPM. I have found that when you reach this RPM, all that happens is that you get no more power, and the engine simply stops revving any higher. As with most new gen engine/gearbox combo, it is virtually impossible to do any damage. For example: If I am travelling on the freeway at 110KPH, and want to overtake a slower vehicle, slotting the gate across to the sports shift position, and giving a tap gets a lower gear. If you accidentally tap twice, to a gear where the engine would over-rev, the shift does NOTHING. The auto will NOT allow you to select a gear that would over-rev the engine. Likewise, if you try to select a higher gear than the engine can cope with (offroad, doing 20KPH, try getting 3rd or 4th) the auto will not change up. This is so the engine doesn't "labour" by being in too low an engine rev area for the speed travelled.

I have had mine since new, and it now has 245000Km on the Odo, wil nothing at all wrong with the driveline to date. This Outtie has done a LOT of off-road (none to gentle either) work, and many highway Kms, so Mitsubishi has managed to transfer the toughness of the larger 4x4's into this smaller package.

Get out there - get some dirt/mud/rocks etc. under your wheels, and live life!
Check my pix & vids at www.tinmansplace.multiply.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/85B3498ECA9040BC82F781380F0B0E79.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/FA01A147A714457E82BBBA6DC9503CBE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/C1875338F9874A8F9F39E5C9D9D3A98B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/9178689F1B7E49C6AD8643AD8D6FC35F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/C55430FED84E401E8A77F4B37340E2AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: tufduck

I don't know if this will hurt the outtie so heres the situation.

When I was driving on the freeway in D I then move the lever gear to thesport shift mode while still driving.

Am I suppose to stop the car then switch to the sport mode or is it ok to do that?

This is how the paddle shifters are designed to work. While "on the fly" driving and shifting when ever you want. Its a "fun factor". The rev limiter will kick in if you forget to shift, and it automatically down shifts for you like going from 50mph to 0 for a light, just as it would if in straight up automatic (D) mode. Go out, have fun, try not to get a speeding ticket...

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM

This is my first car with a sport shift. I love the way when Im at sport shift mode, and I'm in 2nd or up, and just come into a complete stop, it will shift to first for me automaticly.

Great Stuff!

SR

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

I have notice that in city driving the sportshift can actually save fuel, if you use it to downshift when comming to a stop, I think that it completly cuts off the fuel, instead of having to keep sending fuel to the engine to maintain the idle speed. It's not much of a difference, but I do 90% of my weekly driving in suberbia, with stops signs every 500m and have noticed a diffeerence. What I typically do is drive in "D"and only used the left paddle to downshift. as soon as the car comes to a stop (or near stop) it switches back to "D" automatically, so I don't usually use the manual modunder acceleration.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM

I like the pixs.. I like the bar and lights..

But....

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Old

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM

lol that normal
other contry different

Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: oldpapa1949

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Haha, is okay, is still an Outie =D

Sometimes, I think to myself, what is the point of having the steering wheel on the right side on some countries? I use to drive a car that the steering wheel was on the right side as well (that was in Hong Kong), now in Canada, I drive my be-loved outie, and is left hand drive. I cant tell whats the point beside everything on the road is right if it is right hand drive and vice versa!

SR

Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

ORIGINAL: tufduck

I don't know if this will hurt the outtie so heres the situation.

When I was driving on the freeway in D I then move the lever gear to thesport shift mode while still driving.

Am I suppose to stop the car then switch to the sport mode or is it ok to do that?

This is how the paddle shifters are designed to work. While "on the fly" driving and shifting when ever you want. Its a "fun factor". The rev limiter will kick in if you forget to shift, and it automatically down shifts for you like going from 50mph to 0 for a light, just as it would if in straight up automatic (D) mode. Go out, have fun, try not to get a speeding ticket...
You're right about the potential ticket......I find its so (too!) easy to go fast in the Outie - sign of a well put together car is if it feels slow while you arespeeding along. Takes a concerted effort to keep the speed down for me.