Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Temperature control dial not turning..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Banned

That's a mechanical failure, take it apart and it should be obvious. That's not an electronic doodad.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Great idea! Anyone have a video or instructions on how to dismantle and remove the dash so I can reach the area I need to get at.
Has anyone done this before?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM

sadness. this just happened to my '03 outlander today. can anyone post the instructions on how to do the repairs? I see that there were links provided but they seem to be dead now. expedited help would be appreciated, MN winter is coming

also, is everything within the dash? i know for some cars you can do a quick fix on the engine side of the firewall to free up the heat blender.

Last edited by meisterluv; 10-12-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM

WOO HOOO!! just did the quick fix for this and heat has been restored. I'm glad it worked because I did NOT want to have to pay $1500 price tag the dealership was charging.

Anyways here are the parts I used and the video I watched to help with the fix. Note the video is for a lancer but the 2003 outlander is exactly the same fix.

Parts:
7801A110 - Revised Gears ($15.xx)
MN124948 - heater control cable ($20.xx)

Overall cost was just under $40 a lot less than $1500

Video:

Overall it wasn't too difficult. Hardest part was working with the plastic clips. Bring on MN winter!!

PS. If this fix doesn't work for you and you HAVE to replace the blender door and all the works here are the instructions mitsubishi published. Its a lot of work and imo if I had to do it I wouldn't and go to an independent mechanic. Just my opinion.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/su...rd_to_turn.pdf

Last edited by meisterluv; 10-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM

My sons car had the same problem , of course he snapped the dial off. I got under the dash and was able to move the cable to the heat position and I guess will do the same in the spring for AC.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Psyclone
My temperature control dial doesnt turn to the hotter temperature section. It feels stuck & I dont really want to force it. Has anyone heard of this? Is there anyway I can defrost my windows without being able to turn the dial? Thanks
THeir are some good videos on Youtube on how to replace the cable and gears. Not a hard job.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Psyclone
My temperature control dial doesnt turn to the hotter temperature section. It feels stuck & I dont really want to force it. Has anyone heard of this? Is there anyway I can defrost my windows without being able to turn the dial? Thanks
I had this issue with my 2004 Outlander. The gears get stuck or the cable kinks up. A low cost fix is to replace the cable and gears. This is also a easy fix.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ByteGuy
Great idea! Anyone have a video or instructions on how to dismantle and remove the dash so I can reach the area I need to get at.
Has anyone done this before?
Youtube:

Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 PM

I just got a 03 Outlander with the temp **** broke off. Here I was just thinking get a new **** and I would be good until I realized that it was partly stripped. So I bought a whole new control unit thinking I did overkill and found out from shop that its still binding. Itr is currently stuck in heat which is okay because its winter but one warm day with the fan off enough heat came out that I had to lower the winters to stay comfortable. The local indy shop quoted me 1k to do the whole job I declined and paid for a hour of their work thus far installing control unit and lubricating mechanism then did an internet search and see that this is a common problem. I am surprised this ain't a sticky yet so maybe it doesn't happen as much as it appears.

Since mines is a 03 and following the TSB I will start with next just replacing the gears since the control unit and cables are new. I hope I don't have to get the blend door replaced that requires a lot of dash removal. I will look at the existing gears to see if I am comfortable tackling the job. The youtube videos don't make it look too hard but I have been fooled before lol. If I don't tackle it I will have shop do it but it seems they haven't done it before either so wondering if an import shop or dealership that does this a lot will be better/faster at resolving this issue.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:12 PM

Could you provide instructions on how to remove?