Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Is there a list of Lancer -> Outlander parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Default Is there a list of Lancer -> Outlander parts?

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I just picked up a 2003 Outlander for myself and my 16 year old daughter to drive. I was a little unhappy to see the drum brakes, but then I read that the 2003 Outlander is based on the Lancer platform. And, I read that Lancer folks also had drum brakes on earlier models and you can swap out the drum for discs with a kit.

So my questions are - is there a list anywhere that shows what parts are interchangeable between the Lancer and Outlander? And secondly, has anyone attempted the Lancer drum to disc swap on an Outlander?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM

I can't say anything about the drum to disc kit, but if you go to rock auto and lookup parts for your outlander, next to the part will be model number as a hyperlink. that hyperlink will show what other vehicles that part will fit.

Out of curiosity, what is prompting you to convert to disc brakes over the drums?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks! That'll help quite a bit.

I've never been a big fan of drum brakes. The last vehicle I had that had them was a 1977 FJ40 that I rebuilt. They would sometimes get stuck & changing them was a pain.

I figured if it's not a major expense to convert to disc, it'd be a fun weekend project this spring.

I used to belong to a Boston area DSM club (had several Eagle Talons) & we used to get discounts with various Mitsubishi & Chrysler dealers. Does Rock Auto do something like that here?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM

no discounts that I'm aware of. but if you sign up to their mailing list or hit up retailmenot.com, there is a 5% off code that you apply to the "how did you hear about us" section during checkout. I just picked up an air filter and cabin filter for 25 bucks shipped.

My ranger has rear drums, and i do agree they are a pain. Some guys convert theirs to disc as well, but that involves welding on the axle housing...not quite a bolt-on option.