Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

USB Configuration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Default USB Configuration

Hi

I have tried without success to connect my iPhone via USB to the SAT Nav unit, Bluetooth works fine but audio quality is not great for music.

I have tested a standard usb stick and am impressed with the quality of sound i can get from the usb. My music is already ripped into high quality flac files which I can easily convert to 320kbs mp3 files for the car (UK 2011 GX4).

Where i need help is with playlists which currently reside on iTunes. Anybody got an idea how to transfer iTunes playlists to a usb stick and any advice on opitmal file structure configuration for a 16GB usb stick would be welcome.

thanks

Paul

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM

I don't think flac files work with most units.

can yo convevrt to mp4?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by cooleshal
Hi

I have tried without success to connect my iPhone via USB to the SAT Nav unit, Bluetooth works fine but audio quality is not great for music.
If you have iOS 4.x it won't work with the current generation of Mitsu radios.

Where i need help is with playlists which currently reside on iTunes. Anybody got an idea how to transfer iTunes playlists to a usb stick and any advice on opitmal file structure configuration for a 16GB usb stick would be welcome.

thanks

Paul
As long as you maintain the same folder structure/file names on the flash drive as you have in iTunes, it's easy.

First, on the usb stick, put all your music folders into a folder called "music" (no quotes). Then create a folder called "playlists".

In iTunes, right-click on the playlist and export as an .m3u to the "playlist" folder on the usb stick.

Open the .m3u file on the usb stick with a text editor. Notepad is good enough. I created a sample to show you. The file is called beatles.m3u

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:159,Taxman - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\01 Taxman.mp3
#EXTINF:127,Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\02 Eleanor Rigby.mp3
#EXTINF:181,I'm Only Sleeping - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\03 I'm Only Sleeping.mp3
#EXTINF:181,Love You To - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\04 Love You To.mp3
#EXTINF:145,Here, There and Everywhere - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\05 Here, There and Everywhere.mp3
#EXTINF:160,Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\06 Yellow Submarine.mp3
#EXTINF:157,She Said She Said - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\07 She Said She Said.mp3
#EXTINF:129,Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\08 Good Day Sunshine.mp3
#EXTINF:121,And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\09 And Your Bird Can Sing.mp3
#EXTINF:121,For No One - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\10 For No One.mp3
#EXTINF:135,Doctor Robert - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\11 Doctor Robert.mp3
#EXTINF:149,I Want to Tell You - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\12 I Want to Tell You.mp3
#EXTINF:150,Got to Get You into My Life - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\13 Got to Get You into My Life.mp3
#EXTINF:177,Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\14 Tomorrow Never Knows.mp3
You want to adjust the paths to the files so press ctrl-H (edit>replace)

Find: "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music"

and replace with "..\music"

What you should end up with is a file that looks like this:

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:159,Taxman - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\01 Taxman.mp3
#EXTINF:127,Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\02 Eleanor Rigby.mp3
#EXTINF:181,I'm Only Sleeping - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\03 I'm Only Sleeping.mp3
#EXTINF:181,Love You To - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\04 Love You To.mp3
#EXTINF:145,Here, There and Everywhere - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\05 Here, There and Everywhere.mp3
#EXTINF:160,Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\06 Yellow Submarine.mp3
#EXTINF:157,She Said She Said - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\07 She Said She Said.mp3
#EXTINF:129,Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\08 Good Day Sunshine.mp3
#EXTINF:121,And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\09 And Your Bird Can Sing.mp3
#EXTINF:121,For No One - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\10 For No One.mp3
#EXTINF:135,Doctor Robert - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\11 Doctor Robert.mp3
#EXTINF:149,I Want to Tell You - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\12 I Want to Tell You.mp3
#EXTINF:150,Got to Get You into My Life - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\13 Got to Get You into My Life.mp3
#EXTINF:177,Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles
..\music\The Beatles\Revolver [UK]\14 Tomorrow Never Knows.mp3
Save and you're done.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 PM

Is it normal that when I start my car it takes at least 5 minutes to my usb stick be available (usb loading), it is a 16gb with about 1,000 songs in it : ). Is there something that can be done to avoid too much loading/waiting?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM

It's certainly not instant. If it's 'picking up where it left off' it can take a couple of minutes, if you have swapped source it can take longer. You might also have a slower USB stick.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Kite
It's certainly not instant. If it's 'picking up where it left off' it can take a couple of minutes, if you have swapped source it can take longer. You might also have a slower USB stick.
how exactly can you "teach" it to pick up where it left off? my '10 GT used to do it but as i add more mp3 to the 8gb flash drive, it no longer remembers where it left off. if i turn off then turn on my car, the playlist will start from the 1st song on the drive.