Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Weird noise only @ 600-750 rpms. Outlander 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
tcp
Default RE: Weird noise only @ 1600 rpm. Outlander 2007

Sorry to enter this discussion. I don't own an Outlander or Mitsubishi but am interested in the 2007 Outlander. I've been looking through the posts here for information on this vehicle and had a listen to your audio clips.

The sound is VERY similar to what my Audi did due to a glazed belt. At idle, no noise. Just above idle as the belt speeds up, it squealed like a pig until the rpm stablized and all the pullies caught up. the belt needed to warm up before this occured. In my case the alternator had its own belt and it would be really bad under high electrical loads, but probably different here.
I've not sure, but I would assume the Outlander uses one continuous belt. I would loosen the tensoner for it and take it off. Check for shiny surfaces or just replace it regardless. Also spin all the pulleysbeing turned by that beltby hand to make sure everything turns easily and something isn't seized or too hard to turn for the belt.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: tcp

Sorry to enter this discussion. I don't own an Outlander or Mitsubishi but am interested in the 2007 Outlander. I've been looking through the posts here for information on this vehicle and had a listen to your audio clips.

The sound is VERY similar to what my Audi did due to a glazed belt. At idle, no noise. Just above idle as the belt speeds up, it squealed like a pig until the rpm stablized and all the pullies caught up. the belt needed to warm up before this occured. In my case the alternator had its own belt and it would be really bad under high electrical loads, but probably different here.
I've not sure, but I would assume the Outlander uses one continuous belt. I would loosen the tensoner for it and take it off. Check for shiny surfaces or just replace it regardless. Also spin all the pulleysbeing turned by that beltby hand to make sure everything turns easily and something isn't seized or too hard to turn for the belt.

Hmmm. That sounds logical. I'm going to check the belt.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Well after months dealing with the dealer they ajusted the alternator's belt but the noise still there.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM

I just listened and I would like to add my .02 worth if it helps. The noise the you recorded sounds like a hydraulic squeal. I have heard something like it before on the planes I fly on (C130s). Does the power steering fluid look like it is frothing or has fine bubbles in it? Watch it when you run your engine again. I'll try to see if my Outie makes the same noise tomorrow (with the garage door down for extra entertainment).
Rob-gettin' high off the fumes again

Old 09-22-2007, 10:58 PM

Lotsa luck getting high. Its a PZEV engine so there isnt much to get high on

Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Weird noise only @ 600 rpm. Outlander 2007

I'm having the same issue with my 2 month old 2007 Outlander. If I drive slowly between the same RPM ranges stated by phaserkb with the engine warm, I hear a loud squealing noise. If the car is shifted into neutral or park, it won't make the noise. The squeal can only be created while the car is moving in drive. Weird, eh? I'd have the dealer check it out but I don't they'll have a clue as to what's causing it.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:16 AM
Default RE: Weird noise only @ 600 rpm. Outlander 2007

My UK outlander 2008 model made strange noises the dealer had the car for half a day called me when it was ready the noise has gone but they will not tell what the problem was!!! They just said a bolt was missing, really helpful No other dealer treated me this way, I only wanted to know if something else was damaged at the same time.

Even phoned Mitsubish UK to ask and they never phoned me back.

Mitsubishi make great cars they are just let down by their dealers

Puddy

Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 AM

I just picked up my XLS last Friday and hope these aren't common issues. My questions are how many miles do those of you with the noises have on your Outties? And when were yours built (early/mid/late '07 or '08)?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM

I don't think it's too common. I haven't noticed it on myNOV 06 build

Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

I just picked up my XLS last Friday and hope these aren't common issues. My questions are how many miles do those of you with the noises have on your Outties? And when were yours built (early/mid/late '07 or '08)?

Thanks

600 miles mines an 08 version which I brought sep 07 new

Puddy

Quick Reply: Weird noise only @ 600-750 rpms. Outlander 2007