Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Winterising and Outlander and advice on snow chains

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Default Winterising and Outlander and advice on snow chains

Hi gang,
With the first icy blast of the year heading our way here in Kiwiland, my thoughts turn to ski trips later in the year. I would therefore be grateful for any advice regarding winterising an Outlander for trips up icy mountain roads in conditions below 0C. As a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander VRX, it can switch between 2WD, AWD and 4WD lock but as a 'softroader' with no low range and normal road tyres, I'm not sure how capable it will be in such conditions and whether I will also need snow chains just in case. If so, can I get away with a single set of chains for the front wheels (in 2WD or AWD) or will I need a second set for the rear wheels as well? And can anyone recommend a brand of reliable, easy-to-fit chains for 225 55 R18 tyres? I'd be grateful for your experience and advice.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Hi mate .
In OZ I would say you would be fine with road tyres and 4wd.
But knowing about the Kiwi roads up the moutain and seeing this video ,I thought I would post it ,so the guys that drive in snow alot in the USA etc ,can see what you up against ,like the drop offs and a dirt track when they give some advice.
I ski alot and brought a 2WD as its not every day that a 2WD can't get up to our resorts with out chains needed as its tar all the way and will buy some quick fitting Rud matic snow chains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBek...eature=related

Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM

Hi, i have the same spec as you and have just gone through two of the worst winters on record and road tyres are no good on steep slopes . can recommend Pewag Snox Pro .chains, on front wheels only will give you plenty of grip