New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

95 gst motor knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Default 95 gst motor knocking

ok i judt bought a 95 gst and the motor knocks so i took off the head to see the damage turns out it was only one piston the first one tapping someone told me that it was just the timing and some one else said it might be crank walk but dosent have the semptums of its anyone else have any other thoughts about it let me know thanks

Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Default RE: 95 gst motor knocking

Welcome to MF Brazillian.
If you feel it to be off time, check it. What kind of damage did you find with the head off?
You're correct, that's not crankwalk. Did you happen to check the crank? I doubt that it is regardless.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:41 PM

the ticking itself may be a symptom of the crank moving because you might have a spun bearing.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 PM

..but he's no longer ticking, he's knocking...knocking in only one cylinder and not across the board. He may have just caught it early enough to not get caught and stuck on the road, but there's not enough info or history to note the crank walking.
Although, the timing being off would knock across the board too and not just one cylinder, not to mention a horrible sound with the motor running, so I guess there's really not enough info in that one, 3.5 line post to say either way.....
All I'm saying is stop with the jump to a crankwalk conclusion.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 PM

well i took the head off and all of the pistons were fine but the first one witch had been tapping and left little dent marks in the piston someone said that it could be a valve guide kindda lost on the whole thing dont know wat to fix could it be in the crank at all ? im really thinking it could be a baring if so what do i have to do to o fix the problem ?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 PM

If you want to see if you have any play in your crank, do this test.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/fwdcrankwalk/

Another suggestion is to know what crankwalk is...
What is 'crank walk'?
What is a 'walking' crankshaft?
Is there a recall or TSB regarding the crank walk problem?
How can I tell if my car has a walking crankshaft?
Search for this topic now! A 'walking' crankshaft is a crankshaft that moves too much inside the engine. This is also known as excessive thrust bearing play. The movement is usually due to the crankshaft not fitting inside its bearings correctly. While not bad for the crankshaft, the movement can place excessive or uneven loads on the bearings, causing premature failures. Many 2G owners have suffered from walking crankshafts. It appears that Mitsubishi built many 2G engines using defective crankshafts, which were machined out of specification and are thus capable of moving around too much inside the block. All 2G model years appear to be affected to some degree. To fix this problem, Mitsubishi has designed several versions of matching crankshaft bearings. This allows the defective motor to retain the crankshaft, yet matches the bearings correctly so as to eliminate the excessive crankshaft movement. Matching the bearings in this manner is tricky and requires exact information about when the crankshaft was manufactured, which may be determined by color markings on the crankshaft itself. The 2G factory manual includes information on how to match crankshafts to bearings. 1G owners do not generally need to worry, as there are no chronic problems with crankwalk in per-1995 cars. However, it is possible for any engine to experience crankwalk if there is a problem with the crankshaft bearings. It has been reported that 'small rod' / 7-bolt flywheel motors (manufactured from later 1992 through 1994 on 1Gs) are more prone to crankwalk than 'big rod' / 6-bolt flywheel engines (manufactured from 1989 to early 1992). However, there can be no guarantees, since big block V8s and all other engines can also suffer from crankwalk. It can be difficult to tell if a particular car is experiencing crankwalk. Symptoms are usually indirect and difficult to diagnose until major damage occurs. Since the clutch places pressure on the crankshaft, many owners have reported clutch or shifting problems associated with the walking crank. Having the clutch 'stick' down on left-hand turns is often a telltale sign of crankwalk. Other symptoms include inconsistent engagement height, poor or rough engagement, difficulty shifting, ticking noises and varying pedal height or pressure. Another possibility is having the engine RPM decrease significantly when the clutch pedal is down. Another problem with crankwalk is that the crankshaft may move so much as to literally tear up and destroy the 2G crankshaft angle sensor. This problem usually manifests itself as a ticking noise coming from the timing belt area, as the sensor is literally and slowly ground away by the crankshaft. Any such noise should be investigated right away to prevent serious problems. Unfortunately, cranshaft angle sensor failure usually leads to a replacement sensor, rather than a replacement crankshaft, as mechanics fail to diagnose the underlying problem. 2G owners who have experienced premature failure of the crankshaft angle sensor should investigate the possibility of a walking crankshaft immediately. For more information, read this post by Paul Estavez, which describes the crank walk problem in detail. Also read Road Race Engineering's archive of posts that contains all of the Talon Digest posts about the walking crankshaft problem. Those who appreciate that a picture is worth a thousand words will appreciate the Crank Walk Photo Archive. Although 2G DSM owners have been anxiously awaiting a recall or TSB on the crankwalk problem, there is none as yet. According to Paul's second post on the subject, there may never be a TSB, although some members of DSM Canada are pushing for one in this thread on their discussion board. As a result, it is doubly important that affected 2G owners get their bearings (or blocks, if necessary) replaced before their warranty expires. This might be difficult for owners of aftermarket clutches, as dealerships often claim the aftermarket pressure plates are the cause of the problem. Don't see frames? Click here!
This was quoted from the 1000 AAQ site.
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q...hatiscrankwalk

Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

..but he's no longer ticking, he's knocking...knocking in only one cylinder and not across the board. He may have just caught it early enough to not get caught and stuck on the road, but there's not enough info or history to note the crank walking.
Although, the timing being off would knock across the board too and not just one cylinder, not to mention a horrible sound with the motor running, so I guess there's really not enough info in that one, 3.5 line post to say either way.....
All I'm saying is stop with the jump to a crankwalk conclusion.
Im not jumping to say its crankwalk all I am saying is it is more than possible it is a spun bearing which happens to DSMs often enough when the crank walks. It happend to 3 members here in the last year