New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

AEM Adjustable CAM gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Default AEM Adjustable CAM gears

Hello, my name is francis, i'm new to this forum, i apologize if this has been asked before. i have a 1999 mitsu eclipse GS and i got adjustable cam gears on it. the problem i have, i don't know wether to adjust it to the positive or to the negative. if anybody's had any experience in this and which adjustment is the best for obtaining the maximum performance out of the part, please help. also, i'm thinking about getting a Venom intake manifold for the car and i can't seem to find any reasonable price for the manifold. is there anybody there who's selling a usefor a reasonable price. and with regards to the manifold, when i change it, do i still have to change my throttle body? what else do i have to change. one last thing, i'm thinking of getting a stage 3 clutch installed on my car and i've heard horror stories about installing a stage 3 clutch on a car. is it OK for my car to get a stage 3 clutch? is it gonna be bad for my transmission? do i have to change anything? sorry for all the questions. the problem with asking manufacturers is that, of course they're gonna say that all of this is OK for your car just for them to make a sale, but it's gonna be too late for you if you blow out your tranny and don't have a car to use or to modify anymore. thanks i hope to hear from you guys.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Default RE: AEM Adjustable CAM gears

What else do you have done that you want to put a stage 3 clutch in along with replacing the manifold? Also I believe the venoms don't allow you to keep all the stock lines and whatnot. A little more info would be helpful. You'll probably want to turn the timing forewards, you can hear how the engine responds when you change it though and you kinda have to just play with it to get it where you want it. Dont' try and squeeze too much out of timing though cuase it will be harder on the engine.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:46 PM

a stage three cutch is more for high output engines, unless your runnin more than 400 or 500 horses, stick with a stage 2, or if you want a good clutch that is reliable, get an OEM clutch, you should be good with that one up to about 250-300hp........ as far as the timing, unless you have anything else done to the car, i wouldnt really mess with it, its most likely set pretty good, and unless you know what you are doin you can start really tearin up engine parts........... the manifold should be ok, get a bigger throttle body first, that will allow more air into the intake manifold anyway, if you have a bigger manifold without the larger opening in the throttle body it wont do that much good, and if your gonna do that think about upgrading the fuel system also...... then play with the timing.......... or better yet go to a shop and get it all tuned in.......... my first suggestion is before doing anything, do a little research on the engine in your car and where you wanna go with it..........

Old 01-26-2005, 11:43 AM

thanks for the info fellas. i'm strongly considering getting an OEM clutch instead of the Stage 3. is there anywhere on the web where i can get a good deal on OEM parts. the reason why i didn't go to a shop before is because everytime i go to a shop, it's either their trying to sell me something more than what i came in there to ask for. i live in the bay area here in CA if there's anyone that can give me info on the shops HOLLA BAck!! again, thanks

Old 03-20-2005, 12:18 AM

i have a venom intake manifold and a larger throtlebody for my 1997 gsx but cannot install the intake because it is a drag only manifold and i would have to do alot of modifycation. so i would do some more reserch on intake manifolds before you just slap one it may sound good but it may not bolt up and it may need alot of modifycation.