New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Airbag/horn module

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 11:52 PM
Talking Airbag/horn module

Hi, I am new to this forum as and would like to see if anyone could help me as I cannot find anything on the net to solve my problem. I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Triton MK manual petrol or some call it gas?
I have a problem with the Horn staying on and checked everything I replaced the clock spring and checked the horn fuses and looks to be a sticky horn button on the steering wheel.
I have taken the module off but can,t see how to remove the airbag to access the horn button. is this a sealed compartment? and if so will I need to buy a whole new module $$$$$$?
If I can access the button I would be much appreciated for any asistance you can give me.
I am in Australia so right hand drive here.
Cheers
Michael

Old 01-14-2023, 07:20 PM

The airbag might be held on by 2 Torx 30 screws from the side, or you might need to remove the wheel completely to access the fixings

Old 01-14-2023, 08:56 PM

Hi thanks for the reply!

I have removed it from the steering wheel ok, and want to now separate the airbag from its position so I can access the horn button underneath it. from what I can see it is all one unit and looks like I may need to purchase a whole new horn pad with an airbag.

Any idea's
Mick

Old 02-01-2023, 01:22 PM

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but just had a similar issue on a 2002 Montero Sport. On my vehicle the horn switch is built into the air bag module. I found ideas and did one by searching for "stuck horn" or something very similar. "KarenV6" has a detailed post involving mounting a separate horn switch on the lower dash panel. I did this since I didn't want to mess around the airbag module doing a different fix, also on this forum.

I hope this helps if you haven't already fixed your problem. The horn switch on my vehicle is not a separate serviceable part and repairing it involves a workaround which I did not want to get into. You can also find that idea on this forum as I did.

I dont know how to cut and paste another members post, but it was easy for me to find by playing around with the search function.

Andy