Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Home made turbo kit......maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Default Home made turbo kit......maybe?

I am new to the turbo ideas, i am a mechanic working on diesels but this is different. My question for you all knowing members is this:
In the post "How to get more torque from a 4g93 SOHC 16v " the author (who i haven't had a response to) says that by installing a potentiometer in line with the ait sensor wire, he can some what adjust the fuel flow (or injector pulse width i think) by adjusting the potentiometer setting. So....if i was to install a stock mitsubishi turbo (14b?) on my 92 expo with 4g93, running 5psi non intercooled ( after having my injectors ported for more flow and installing a air/fuel guage to monitor my adjustments with the potentiometer) can i safely/cheepley run this setup on my car? I want a little more power and if i can safely get approx. 40hp for a little money approx. $300 then that would be great. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

I would not go non intercooled in a non-turbo block, simply because first off your trying to run some cheap @ss fuel management which BTW will start to pull timing adjusting it that way. And also your running on internals that were not meant for boost pressure. Even if its only 5psi the heat from the turbo being rushed back into the engine along with the timing being pulled and the cheap fuel system im sure you will destroy that motor.. Have you also thought about how you are gonna run the exhaust because you will need the manifold, o2housing and a custom downpipe, as well as an exhaust because the stock simply wont flow.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM

As for the non intercooled idea, i could use a factory side mount intercooler and might not have to modify the piping very much since the intake is on the same side as the 4g63 (1st gen).

For the timing issue this is what was posted, "Since colder air is denser air, the ECU adjusts the pulse width to the injectors to hold them open a tiny bit longer - to push through a little more fuel and try to maintain the correct air/fuel mixture. But, since the engine temp sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is fully warmed up, it doesn't advance the igniton timing - like it would if it were running in open-loop (warm up) mode."

For the exaust, i would have a friend at the local fab shop make a flange for the turbo and a bung for the o2 sensor. I already have universal 2 1/2" exhaust that he will bend and weld brackets for along with a universal muffler.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

If your gonna turbo your car I would upgrade the fp, get 390cc injectors (can be picked up dirt cheap), safc and logger so you can monitor any knock the engine is seeing.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 PM

as basically has been said before, ur thinking of going about this the wrong way

Old 08-28-2009, 04:10 PM

That was the point of the post, this way i can get a better understanding as to wether it would work or not. In the post i was reading it seemed like that had a chance of working. which part of this is the one that needs changed? i have the fuel system figured out (injectors, pump, pressure regulator), the exhaust (fab'd manifold, down pipe, exhaust), intake (side mount intercooler and piping). Could i go with just a F/IC or will i have to get an AEM ecu? Will i have to change to a blow through or leave it draw through?