Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Odd coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Default RE: Odd coincidence?

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Again another reason I like my Conquest (Starion). It was billed as a luxury sports car and with a little more work she'll be quite reliable as well as decently trackable.
With the toyota's you get the nice strong ,unbreakabletrannies basically(at least the poopra), a bottom end that is already built from the factory that can handle just about all 80% of people can even give it, and you never worry much about timing belts because they are non interference motors so no valve wack

Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Again another reason I like my Conquest (Starion). It was billed as a luxury sports car and with a little more work she'll be quite reliable as well as decently trackable.
With the toyota's you get the nice strong ,unbreakabletrannies basically(at least the poopra), a bottom end that is already built from the factory that can handle just about all 80% of people can even give it, and you never worry much about timing belts because they are non interference motors so no valve wack
Same with the Conquest. I rebuilt due to improper maintenance causing a spun bearing. The trans aren't unbreakable but it's fairly rare to hear a 'quest or Starion bustin one up unless the engine is fairly well built (In excess of 500 HP our trans' have been proven to hold I believe). I don't worry about a timing belt anyways since I have a chain AND we have non interference engines as well so all the benefits of the poopra's it seems for the Starions.

On another note, there's a guy that is making a trans rebuild kit for the stock trans to basically bulletproof it. I believe he's anticipating it being able to handle in excess of 900 HP. I'm on the list for that when he's finished the testing.

I think the only thing some of the poopra's really have over the 'quests is that some were factory twin turbo'd. Other thana that I'll take my Mitsubishi any day. Especially since our lower ends are near indestructable. The rods I'm running for my race build are stockers that have been shot peened and lightened as have bushed wristpins. The stock cranks are nitrided to .020 as well. Sad to see that Mistu abandoned this block.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 PM

i have went from a mitsu, to a BMX bike that screams Tetnis shot

Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

I think the only thing some of the poopra's really have over the 'quests is that some were factory twin turbo'd. Other thana that I'll take my Mitsubishi any day. Especially since our lower ends are near indestructable. The rods I'm running for my race build are stockers that have been shot peened and lightened as have bushed wristpins. The stock cranks are nitrided to .020 as well. Sad to see that Mistu abandoned this block.
Maybe you didnt know that Supra 6 spd trannys have yet to find a max of power for the tranny they are holding strong over 1500WHP still (of course the clutch is different story) and the stock bottom end is unbeatable as well. so many stock bottom end supras are making 900WHP some higher on the STOCK block. There is a guy making 843WHP on the stock block and head only has headstuds , stock cams and all. THAT IS INSANE. The TT aspect of the supra is not a pluss at all. it sucks really. makes a messy engine bay and limited power without taking them out for a big one

Old 03-06-2008, 12:20 AM

i just didnt want to dump any more money into a car thats shatty in the snow

Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Basically for the $ I can spend trying to find a Supra running or not, I can reliably make the same power with my 2.6 and have $ left over. There's really no need for me to have a trans that's capable of 1500 HP as I'll never make that much. I plan on driving the car every day so that much power just isn't necessary.

Besides I like the lines and shape of the Starions better anyways.And the fact that noone really knows what it is that I drive.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 AM

Basically for the $ I can spend trying to find a Supra running or not, I can reliably make the same power with my 2.6 and have $ left over. There's really no need for me to have a trans that's capable of 1500 HP as I'll never make that much. I plan on driving the car every day so that much power just isn't necessary.

Besides I like the lines and shape of the Starions better anyways.And the fact that noone really knows what it is that I drive.
The same argument can be made with the supra. Its not like it is a hi populated car that they are rediculously rare too. There were under 12,000 ever sent to the US ,that includes TTs and NAs. there were only 8500 TTs this is between the 93-98 years. The alpine silver hartop TT from 1995 there were only 2 i mean that is crazy rare. The price tag on them are between rarity , reliability , and demand. They are so hard to get running or not. I mean a wreck (totalled) supra project car still sells for $10k or so. its insane

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Its all about preference. I like having my car because there are alot of people that dont even know what it is and they will just stare trying to figure it out. I just tell them its a ferrari

But IMO the Toyota Supra is the Most well built from factory import sports car ever made. And you cant ever really argue the specs on it and what they are capable of. Of course you could take an old mitsu and build it up to be totallly reliable for the price of a supra since you can get them cheap and have all that money to play with. But at least with an eclipse there are just too many of them. I agree with you Sang though that those cars are really nice for the same reason as the mr2 and supra is the rarity. I wouldnt mind driving one of those around since its someone you dont see every day.

And mike, at least your tranny is bullet proof. Mine however is not so good. Unfortunetly the 90-92 trannies are prone to syncro issues similiar to that of the 1g eclipses. When the time comes i will have to upgrade to the gen3 tranny with LSD. But for now im on the run it till it breaks method

Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

That's exactly my point. I can spend the $ on a perfect and completely built and perfectly reliableStarion and the same amount spent there will barely cover purchase price for a wrecked shell of a Supra. The Starions are just as rare they just never got the blast of popularity from movies and whatnot that the Supra's do.

Besides I've driven a Supra before and really didn't care much for it. I liked my Conquest better. The manager of the shop I worked at had one. Well at least he did till he went to jail again...

Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM

all prefferance really , myself I think a supra looks a billions times more sleek than starions. plus resale values are through the roof and still climbing over the past few years now your looking at paying 5k more than years past. to me the supra far exceeds the starion all around by a long shot but not everyone agrees. you 450 to the wheels a few bolt ons will do, more power than my evo with a truck load of mods. they are prob some of the easiest cars to suck big power gains from

Quick Reply: Odd coincidence?