PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2001 GTZ Problems with starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Default 2001 GTZ Problems with starting

About a month ago car acted as if it missed after going down the highway @ 60mph. I saw the engine light come on for a second then it cut right back off. I checked the engine code and got a code for the O2 Sensors.......replaced all 4 sensors. Since then the car has been having issues starting. I have to turn the engine over 2 - 6 times or more before the engine will start. Sometimes it starts just fine. Also, still having the problem with the engine acting as if it is missing while driving the car. The car will be running fine at any MPH then all the sudden the car will hesitate (sometimes really hard). Have even had the engine just cut off while traveling at different speeds. I put the car in neutral and restart the car.......fires back up and runs fine. When this happens the check engine light will come on and then cut right back off

Ok, here's the scratch your head part of this post. Last weekend the car through a code that made the check engine light come on and stay on . Ran up to a local dealership here in Dallas. They came back with the Mass Airflow Meter or Sensor was bad......I was surprised by this being the reason for my problem. They wanted $600 for the part at the dealer. Being skeptical about this being my problem I headed for the junk yard. Found the part off a car that just arrived at the junk yard and got the part replaced on my car. Reset the computer and the car ran fine the rest of the weekend. I was thinking it's fixed........Then came Monday and all the same issues started again. I then went back to the dealer yesterday and left it with them all day. I insisted on them checking the fuel pressure (they were convinced it was not the fuel delivery). Fuel pressure check come out ok. They claim the car had no codes present to check and nothing was wrong with the car.

They are a number of things I could start with after reading forums all morning. I did check the fuel pump relay and it's ok. Where do I start? Crankshaft Sensor, Fuel Pump, Cam Sensor (which is in the distributor in this model), Fuel pump regulator, or is it a computer problem.

I have had this car a year and haven't had much problems, please reply back with a solution. I am not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined enough to know what I am doing.

Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 GTZ Problems with starting

How many miles are on the car and how do your plugs and wires look? You said the cel came on for the 02 sensors and then it came back on then went off, did you get that code?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Plugs and wires are good. 72k miles.......since last week it has hesitated like I said two or three times (Check engine comes on and cuts off) and yesterday the dealer said there were no codes present. I plan to take the car to a friends house tomorrow and check the codes. But if the dealer cleared the codes (likely) I have to wait till it hesitates and the light comes on then off. It has not happened since I picked it up from the dealer yesterday.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well if the cel came on there should be memory codes stored in the pcm. If it happens againtake it to advance auto, they can scan it for free.