PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

97 Monty SR 3.5 no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Default 97 Monty SR 3.5 no fuel

Have a 97 Montero sr 3.5 that ran perfect without incident until now. Realizing things happen- I've been better than average with maintenance (oil, filters, tune up{2 wks ago}). Driving my Monty and approached traffic light and it stopped. No warning lights, no engine miss, 3/4 tank gas. Had it towed home and things ruled out are: Spark(plenty of spark), Battery 3 month old and alternator was replaced 2 1/2 months due to leaking oil above it(timing seal I'm guessing, which is the next service on my list). Fuel pump was replaced when I purchased Monty 1 yr ago and I can hear the pump spin but no fuel to motor rails. Sprayed gas into manifold and it starts and runs fine if I keep spraying fuel, (which I wouldn't recommend anyone doing). Ordered manual from dealer and is waiting it's arrival. Pulled pump out and checked filter which appears clean, and also changed external filter under driver side carriage but still no fuel. Just throwing this out to see if anyone had a similar issue and had any other suggestions. I've also visually checked capacitors inside control unit which looks ok. Haven't place meter on anything yet as I don't have manual to refer to. Thanks in advance- Tosh

Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

maybe a bad solenoid of relay

Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM

Ok, here’s the update on my no fuel problem. After changing the pressure valve, checking fuses and relays- finding another control unit from a donor car at the local pull a part, establishing thru various tests that no fuel delivery was present at the fuels fails-checking and changing timing belt (which by the way looked pretty good and timing gears were all on their marks) yielded the same no fuel problem….it was time to look in the tank. Keep in mind I’ve just changed the pump and filter almost a year ago and there was a request from some to check lines and possibly a faulty pump could be my problem. So after taking the pump out of the tank I immediately noticed a black oil like substance on the filter. Looking further into the tank I see what looks like mud at the bottom of the tank. The wonder of vandalism popped into my mind and then quickly vanished when I realized the Monty has locking gas lid. So the tank came off, emptied, cleaned and replaced the pump and new filter. You guessed it…runs fine.
Makes you wonder about the quality of gas you purchase now a days. Anyway hats off to all that replied Happy (running again) Monty
Tosh