PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

ECM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Default ECM replacement

hello guys and gals this is my first post as I finally got registered today.
Im having a problem and hope to get an answer or direction from one of the experts here.
Just bought a 2009 Galant 2.4 that had been in a front end accident and the ECM had been damaged.I bought an ECM from a salvage yard with the exact P/N and had planned to have it reflashed to the VIN of my car but I,m told that the ECM cant br reflashed on these cars.If this is correct then I am screwed because a new ECM is over 750.00.
I am not getting any power to the fuel pump or at least I cant herar it running with the Salvage yard ECM installed.Seems to me that if the salvage yard ECM and the one that originally came out of the car are the same P/n then the internal software should be close enough to at least crank the car.
You can tell that I am not an electrical genious.
The car is so new that even ALLDATA does not have the wiring schematics for this Galant anf the dealership won't even talk to me about it since they want the business.
Any help here?
I've really overspent my budget getting this car back together but the body work and paint is now all done and I have a car that wont run.
I also have two wires that are cut at the chassis wiring harness within an inch or two of the drivers side fog lights and cannot determine where these wires go to.
When I bought this car nothing was said about this but the cut wires were found duringthe body panel replacememt
Im in a jam and need some answers.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM

This isn't a long term fix, but it will get you on the road with the new PCM.

Take the original key for your car and get a copy made. It needs to be just a plain old key, non-chipped. Then, take the original key for the car the PCM came out of and tape it to the new copied key. Tape the it so that the handle portion of the keys are up against each other, but the teeth part are opposing each other. ^^^^^^handles taped^^^^^^^ (^^^are teeth)

This will put the chip in close enough proximity to the ignition and will bypass the theft protection. It sounds crazy, but it worked for me in a 99 Honda Accord.