Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Propper speed shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Default Propper speed shifting

Ok, I'm new to my 2006 Eclipse GT so don't laugh at this stupid question.
What is the best way to shift for speed. I'm not modding my vehicle other than a K&N filter, better Kuhmo tires, and a cat back exhaust so I'm trying to keep it's warranty active.

Is it safe to floor the gas and do quick shifts without lifting of the gas? Is there a safe clutch method that lessons the between gear time?

I'm asking these questions because I don't want to blow my engine or tranny trying to figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Default RE: Propper speed shifting

Unless you took lessons from Ronny Sox, you best not speed shift (not lift off the gas and not use the clutch except to start). You may be able to begin to start to feel the tranny and not use the clutch for casual shifting, I would imagine it is not recommended. I can do it with my '97 GS-T, but only for show, not go. Your tranny should have straight cut gears if you want to do clutchless shifting for speed, eg: liberty transmission. Also, clutches do not live long on a lot of heavy shifting. In my younger years they would last about 10,000 to 20,000 miles and a long life was 85,000 miles when I finally started to be nice to them, and that was with a rear drive car. Clutch discs and springs break when abused unless you have a heavy duty system. I hit my stock clutch pretty hard the other night and from 1st to 2nd I could tell it was hard on it by the shock to the drivetrain. Abuse it, you will be changing it.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Default RE: Propper speed shifting

Basically, people will point and laugh at you when you do this. It's not only an effective way to look like an idiot who can't shift, but it's great for burning all those piles of cash you've got laying around too! You'll glaze your clutch and bounce off the rev limiter...........over all, a no-lift shift is a bad idea. My advice (if it doesn't void your warranty), purchase an upgraded clutch, a short shift kit and some sticky tires. You'll have better traction, and you'll feel much more confident that nothing will break when you're going through the gears hard.