1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

could this maybe be clutch or fluids??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Default could this maybe be clutch or fluids??

I am thinking my problem is my clutch but my step dad is telling me it is more than likely my tranny oil.. When i drive down the road smooth without getting onto the gas, everything is fine.. But when i get onto it, my RPM's will raise and my speed wont.. im thinking my clutch is sticking and might need replaced, but is there an easier(cheaper) solution?? anyone else have this problem before?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Default RE: could this maybe be clutch or fluids??

I'm assuming that it's a manual? If so, then yes, your clutch is slipping and needs to be changed. If it's an auto, then yes, the fluid needs to be changed. A manual tranny fluid only provides lubrication. An auto's fluids provide hydraulic pressure and lubrication.
Does it slip when the motor is cold, warm, or does it just slip whenever?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

definetly the clutch if its a manual. I had the same problem. The clutch isnt grabbing when you put more torque to it

Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 AM

yea sorry guys, it is a manual.. my step dad instists it is the tranny burning up and i need a new one, i kept telling him it was the clutch.Slivercoupe, it slips all the time, warm and cold.. but the reason he says it is the tranny and not the clutch is because when HE drives it, he dont use clutch and it does the same thing.. i guess if you rev these anywhere from 4k-4400 you dont need clutch, and thats what he does and it still slips like that...

titleAndStar(2754,0,55,false,",")

Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 AM

Hate to tell you this but the clutch is always being "USED" unless you put your foot on the petal, at which time it it releases the pressure on the clutch plate and disengages from the flywheel,,,, if there is not enough pressure on the clutch when your foot is off the pedal it will slip.... you need a new clutch!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM

Yup, the tranny won't cause slipping. It will cause grinding though. Just as previously stated. The clutch pads are not "biting" the flywheel anymore, that causes it to slip. Whether he rev matches or not, if the clutch pads are worn or glazed, they are worn or glazed and the clutch needs to be replaced...not the tranny (repaired) bro.
Is your step dad that good of manual shifter or does he only have one leg to cause him not to use the provided clutch? Have you ever rode in the car with him when he rev matches? Poor tranny.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:19 PM

number one.. yea it slips and grinds, and my tranny oil smells burnt.. number 2 yea i rode with him when he rev matches and it shifts through like butter.. i cant seem for it to work though so i dont try.. i am utterly and very frustratingly((<<<--- didnt know how to express it)) confused on who i should belive.. i know to belive you guys especially since what you are telling me is what i told my step dad in the begging, but if i go to him and tell him i went to yall and try to correct him, he gets all pissy..I Knew it was my clutch but i cant afford one, i am on the verge of being evicted from this house, and clutches are expensive.. maybe ill just give up on a car, i have no way of getting money[&o]

Old 08-31-2007, 10:13 PM

if it grinds in all gears, i hope youve filled the trans by now, if it still does then it was ran too long with low oil and needs rebuilt or replaced

make sure your trans oil is topped off, then adjust the clutch, look on vfaq.com for a how-to

Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 PM

Burnt fluid does mean it needs to be changed, especially if it's been in there for some time, which also can lead to grinding. I just don't understand the need to rev match since there's a clutch there? How does he even put it into first without grinding or forcing it? He should really stop rev matching. Why is he doing it to start with? Is he racing someone/himself? Why does he even drive YOUR car that way? I've been there done that with my step dad....just get out. I'm just saying....
If he's got that much pride in what he believes to be true, then let it be. He's obviously a master mechanic somewhere.
You can try a junkyard for a tranny/clutch too. It may be used and worn out, but not anymore than what you have now. Try some sythetic tranny oil for the grinding (temp fix) and get a used clutch at a yard. I bet the pads on your stock clutch are smooth and shiny. Your flywheel can be glazed too. It will need to be resurfaced with a clutch change anyhow, just for consistancy.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 PM

ok ill try to answer all of your questions..Theoil in the tranny just got put in acouple months ago when i changed the rear-main seal. he is sort of a master mechanic, did it for 25 years on cars and boats.. he uses clutch while going into first obviously, he needs it when he stops or it stalls, and he is smart enough to know it will tear the hell outa the tranny if he revs it to 4k then slams it into first.. he does it because he knows the clutch is worn down but he dont think that is what is causing my problems. and to be honest, him and my mom paid for the car, im supposed to pay them back when i get a job though, which will be soon..
I have a junk yard down the road that has the talon version of my car with the 1.8 in it, i have already gotten the valve cover off it, but i have no room to pull the tranny off of it as it sits up in a flat bed.. he has another eclipse but i dont know what size engine.
i dunno, i just dont know what to do.. i know i need a new clutch but i just cant afford it..maybe since i been to this guy before he will cut me off a great deal, i dunno