1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

need advice 92 eclipse turns over but won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Default need advice 92 eclipse turns over but won't fire

I have a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse 1.8l sohc 5 speed and for one reason or another it won start one day I got in started it let out the clutch and left I got about 20 feet felt like it stalled out. Tried to restart it and it would not start it turns over but will not fire.if you have any ideas feel free to reply.Things I have already tried are:checked fuel pump its pumping fuel ,someone said try ecu so tried that and it still wouldnt fire,checked timing belt by opened oil cap to see if cams are moving they are ,checked spark plugs and they are getting spark .the only other thing i could think of is distributer problems or it jumped time please help if you have heard of something similiar happenning or just know eclipses thank you

Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: need advice 92 eclipse turns over but won't fire

Where did you check your fuel system for pressure? Just cuz the pump is running doesn't mean it's actually moving anything. Filter could be clogged, line could be clogged (unlikely though). Also have you checked your injectors for a pulse? If you can turn the engine slowly until you get #1 TDC (easiest way I've found to do this is take #1 spark plug out and place a super long extension in the hole so it rests on the piston. Turn engine by bumping the key until the extension is at it's highest point). Then if you can remove the upper timing cover and verify that it's set to the timing marks. If you have a noid light or access to a noid light set then use that to check for the iunjector pulse when attempting to start the car. If you have fuel in the line (You can check this by the fuel pressure test connection basically looks like a valve stem connection on the fuel rail for most cars and if you don't have the actual guage to plug in then use a pen and push the button to see if there is fuel AND pressure there at that point. Then test the injectors signal). If the injector isn't getting a signal then it won't be giving the engine gas.

Hops this helps you figure out what's wrong. After you do these things post and let us know what you get there.