2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1st to 2nd shifting! is my tranny really bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Default 1st to 2nd shifting! is my tranny really bad?

Ok heres my question, i recently installed act 2100 clutch, xact flywheel, b&m short shifter, symborski kit and new tranny fluid(syncromesh) even with those parts I still cannot make a quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Heres exactly how I do it,

-press clutch all the way in 5500 or 6000 rpm
-shift 1st to 2nd
-If i shift too fast it will grind if not, it wont but it dropped too much rpm

I just noticed it will mostly go in gear on 4500rpm & below after i pressed the clutch.

What do you guys recommend to fix it? When should I shift from 1st to 2nd?

Thanks!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1st to 2nd shifting! is my tranny really bad?

Sounds to me like a possible synchro problem... You could try double clutching. Go into first gear when you're ready to shift to 2nd hit clutch start shifting when you are out of gear (Neutral) dropclutch and hit it again as you continue to head into second. You will have to practice this technique but essentially once you've mastered it you will basically have your hand moving to shift just as normal but your foot will be dropping and hitting the clutch for the split second between gears. If you'd like an explination as to what exactly this does for you let me know and I will post it.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:06 AM

Yeah i can do that but it would be better if i just slowly change gears and add some gas while depressing clutch.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

No because the clutch should be treated like a switch. On or off. Besides I'm not an expert on transmissions but it sounds like you have a speed synchro going bad. Basically the double clutching is doing what the speed synchrro SHOULD do. It doesn't do this in all gears just 1st and 2nd? Cuz if it only does it when shifting from 1st to 2nd then it definately IS the speed synchro and the double clutching basically does for you what the synchro SHOULD be doing.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:36 AM

I know exactly what your talking about when I first started off power shifting I would press in the clutch, take my foot off the gas, put it in gear, dump the clutch and get back on the gas. It would grind a bit every time.

I dont know what model you have but the way that i got around it was by removing my clutch restrictor and no taking my foot off the gas. On 2g nts for the clutch to engage the fluid has to flow though the slave cyl. In the slave cyl their is this plate about the size of a dime with a pin hole in the center. All of the fluid has to go though that little hole for the clutch to engage. I took the whole thing out so instead of the fluid haveing to travle through such a small hole it now have a path way the size of a dime. So now my clutch engages compleatly before the pedal hits the floor.

So now when I shift, into any gear, I leave my foot on the gas, push the clutch almost to the floor while ripping the shifter into second. The r's jump up about 1g while shifting and drop to their normal position after the shift. And the best part is... NO MORE GRINDING!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 09:23 PM

is the doing away with stuff just on the non turbos or on all of them. My car has the first to second problem if i bang gears while leaving it on the floor. To where as if i let of then get back on it takes(most of the time). Is what you are talking about look similar to a second slave cylinder or something that is in the line. I know that mine as alot of extra garbage in it and was just wondering if i could do away with mine too. Thanks alot

Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 AM

To be honest i am not too sure. You could always check though its going to take 30 min, a bottle of dot 4, and a wrench. All i did was remove the line that feeds the slave cyl on the tranny and it was right there. Only thing is that it kills the master cyl faster but i dont give a ****.

http://www.2g nt.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=75

Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 AM

I'm assuming you're referring to the GS-T or GSX manual transaxle in this response.
Your Mitsubishi transmission has fiber coated syncro that's been pretreated/soaked with a friction modifier during the manufacturing process. If it wears out or looses effectiveness (usually after the very 1st gear oil change), your trans may grind into gear during high RPM or very fast shifts. This is most noticable from 1st to 2nd, but can also happen from 2nd to 3rd. If this is your problem- you can try reinstalling some friction modifier into the gearbox. The part number is ME581050. It comes in a "eyedropper" type bottle and can be difficult to install all of the bottle into the trans using the fill hole. What i suggest is that you remove the vehicle speed sensor in the back of the transmission and pour the entire contents in through there. You won't waste a drop this way. Give it a shot- before you completely waste away your fiber coated synchros. Good Luck! Same applies to the 3000GT.

Joel, CA

Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Well I was half right... I didn't know about the friction modifier... But I knew it was a synchro problem