2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

2.5 to 2.6L stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM

hey i see the engine is working out for ya. hows it pull? i just picked up a 99 gsx for real cheap with a 2.3 stroker and it just needs tuned real bad. it pulls soo hard though. send me a vid of your ride so i can see how it turned out. maybe ill decide to build another one out of the 4g64's i got layin around lol

Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 AM

There are just some random oil leaks... that I hopefully fixed... we'll see though. I broke it in as per motomanusa's website so i got to get on it. It pulls very hard! i now get full turbo spool in first gear and hit 22 PSI before I even realized it. I don't like this new short shifter, but as soon as I get used to it I imagine that I'll be able to enjoy the engine more. I'm happy for you about the new stroker, but I would definitely recommend building another 63/64 hybrid.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:55 PM

not getting my hopes up but, i idled the car for about 30 minutes and backed it out of the garage... there are no leaks.. maybe under load i might see some, but I am hoping and praying that I fixed them. here are some pics for your guys... I left the coil on plug off because the engine wasn't starting with it for some reason...

Attached Thumbnails 2.5 to 2.6L stroker-dscf5324.jpg   2.5 to 2.6L stroker-dscf5325.jpg   2.5 to 2.6L stroker-dscf5326.jpg   2.5 to 2.6L stroker-dscf5327.jpg   2.5 to 2.6L stroker-dscf5328.jpg  

Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 AM

very nice work. i hope everything is sealed up good. this is funny. they actually started making kits just for the 2.6 litre now for the 64 block with 63 head. they have a crank, pistons, rings, and rods for 3,200 bucks and you got a semi complete long block for a bunch less lol.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM

haha that is funny. I do appreciate it though. It runs well. There is a tiny leak from the valve cover gasket/cam seal.. nothing to worry about but still annoying none the less. She seems a little slower today. I don't know if I burned the clutch out or what, but it almost feels like its slipping... even though its an ACT 2600.. who knows. All and all though I'm happy. I wish I would have left the a/c in but I already have my cake... no need to eat it.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:59 PM

i would almost think that a 2600 isnt a strong enough of a clutch for that thing. put on a little silicone on it to stop the leak, silicone fixes everything lol. ive noticed though, with my gsx also it has its good days and some bad days. im going to build up another engine for it cuz the 2.3 in it is beat on. did you get it tuned yet?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 AM

I don't know either. I did a pull last night from 1st through 3rd and it still felt strong. Its just from a roll its a little slower. One could argue that that is because the engine is putting out more torque not HP. I've been slowly tuning it with DSMlink. STFT were -5.1-+4 and combinedFT was -11 or so, but at WOT they zeroed out so I'm not sure how I want to proceed with that. I have to go back through the data log that i captured yesterday to see if I need to add or take away fuel... Once thats straight I can dial in the MAF adjustment. As far as the leak, I hope its just the valve cover. I don't feel like pulling the cam sprockets to fix to cam seals. I did notice that all the felpro/topline valve cover gaskets are for 90-99, while if you get a gasket straight from the dealer the 1g 90-94 is a different number than the 2g 95-99. So, that may be the issue as well since its a 1g head. I'll play with it this weekend and see what I can see. I RTV'ed everywhere I was supposed to on the valve cover gasket and even RTV'ed the outside of the cam seal... however I put in 6 quarts of oil to offset the new oil cooler and it may have been to much. I know the oil pressure was high and it may have "blown out" those nicely sealed seals... Oh well. Why do you think the 2.3L was beat on? Is it acting weird? I would say try and tune it before you start building anything. It may just be a ****ty tune that is keeping it slow or unresponsive.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Ok, so the annoying oil leak turned into a big problem. everywhere i've parked there are HUGE oil puddles. Oil pressure was still high so i limped it home and started working on it. It looks like the ultra grey isn't holding at all so i'm going to switch to ultra black for the head and pray that the ultra grey holds for the oil pan. I pulled the upper timing cover and everything is coated in oil; sprockets, timing cover, even a little oil on the belt. I haven't had a chance to start tearing everything apart but I suspect that both cam seals bit it, even though they are both brand new.

Would oil corruption of the cam angle sensor cause cruising fuel cut? I have a 95 CAS under the intake sprocket on the 1g head (94 galant and late 1g heads had the boss to mount this) and when i'm driving the Uego gauge shows --- ultra lean and the car losses power (almost like my foot would be off the gas coasting to a stop). After giving it more throttle it comes back up and drives, but then the cycle starts all over again. I'm thinking it is the oil leaking on that sensor, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Ok, so the annoying oil leak turned into a big problem. everywhere i've parked there are HUGE oil puddles. Oil pressure was still high so i limped it home and started working on it. It looks like the ultra grey isn't holding at all so i'm going to switch to ultra black for the head and pray that the ultra grey holds for the oil pan. I pulled the upper timing cover and everything is coated in oil; sprockets, timing cover, even a little oil on the belt. I haven't had a chance to start tearing everything apart but I suspect that both cam seals bit it, even though they are both brand new.

Would oil corruption of the cam angle sensor cause cruising fuel cut? I have a 95 CAS under the intake sprocket on the 1g head (94 galant and late 1g heads had the boss to mount this) and when i'm driving the Uego gauge shows --- ultra lean and the car losses power (almost like my foot would be off the gas coasting to a stop). After giving it more throttle it comes back up and drives, but then the cycle starts all over again. I'm thinking it is the oil leaking on that sensor, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thats a possibility abt the cas, I've had cam seals leak oil all over the timing cover and also a loose castle plug that leaked oil too. Just some things to check.

Quick Reply: 2.5 to 2.6L stroker