2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Default RE: blow off valve

ORIGINAL: clos36

ok cool thanks alot for helping me out!!!
ok one more dumb question ummm how do i vent the bov?? well duh im going to have to take it somewhere in order to install everything or should i just let me dad do it( he knows about cars but i dont think he has done that before)
there is a hose\tube connecting the BOV into the intake called a dump tube. if you remove that tube and block off the hole on the intake you are now venting the BOV.

Here is my stock BOV and dump off into the bottom of my intake... this is a custom intake and BOV routing job so yours will be up on the top but you can see the tube to remove

Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM

All you do to vent it is take off the hose to the BOV, and block it off. Personally, I like the noise as well. I don't, however, like the stock BOV :/ I would suggest getting the GM MAS, and maybe a GReddy Type S BOV. Vent it, and enjoy your PSHHHHHH. [8D]

-brandoN^-

Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: get435

either way will work just fine and just to let ya know
This isnt exactly True... with the daul stage you may not notices the car running any different but it is still loseing air that was counted and the car is still adding in fuel to compensate for that air...When that amount of air never gets into the motor the car becomes rich again either way it is still richening up your A\F and can slow the car down. I learned a little about that the EVO stock runs something like a 9.8A\F which is super rich after leaning it to 11.3 I can feel a HUGE difference in power and it has been shown on dynos to gain 20-30WHP. even though this isnt going to make the car feel much different it is still going to richen it up.

Like I said before IMO the daul stage is just Tacky and you might as well do it the right way if you want to vent a BOV.
ok i see what ya are saying.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:22 PM

there is a hose\tube connecting the BOV into the intake called a dump tube. if you remove that tube and block off the hole on the intake you are now venting the BOV.

Here is my stock BOV and dump off into the bottom of my intake... this is a custom intake and BOV routing job so yours will be up on the top but you can see the tube to remove

ok so i have to remove the dump tube that is the connection of the BOV to the intake....will the intake still work normall after i take the tube off? and how do i block off the hole?

yes i plan on buying a greedy type se BOV and the g mas get435 suggested...one more thing emonz when you had you gs-t what did you end up doing to it( the bov connection stuff that we are talking about)

Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 PM

ok so i have to remove the dump tube that is the connection of the BOV to the intake....will the intake still work normall after i take the tube off? and how do i block off the hole?

yes i plan on buying a greedy type se BOV and the g mas get435 suggested...one more thing emonz when you had you gs-t what did you end up doing to it( the bov connection stuff that we are talking about)
I never has a GSt I have played around with a TSi AWD which is the same thing, and of course my EVO which again is relitivly the same thing... In the video of me venting my BOV what I did was pull the BOV out of the dump tube and left the dump tube connected to the intake but the end of it that was plugged into the BOV I used tape and taped over the hole which works but I wouldnt recomend that lol I did it cause I only vented the BOV for that small video.

you can go to homeDepot and buy plumbing cap things (not sure what they are called) just get the right size and cap off the hole either on the tube itself or on the intake. the intake will work fine as long as that hole is plugged off.

If you get the GM MAF then you can just get a custom intake made that has no hole in it for the dump off.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 PM

i dont know but i thought you had a spider before i guess i got you confused lol...

"Just messing around on my street with my EVO and the Stock BOV Vented, just to see how loud it would be LOL"
can you actually make it sound like that with the stock BOV? or you dont sugest it??

"what I did was pull the BOV out of the dump tube and left the dump tube connected to the intake but the end of it that was plugged into the BOV "
ok the tube is conected to both the intake and the BOV...i should leave the tub conected only to the intake and not to the BOV but at the end of you sentence you said that the tube was connected to the BOV?sorry im confused

Old 02-01-2006, 10:27 PM

heres my opinion: venting is a bad idea. your car is going to suffer from it, it will decrease your turbo spool up time, wear out your o2 sensor fast, and make your car stall occasionally. get a 1g bov or a greddy type s and be done with it.

That said, since you seem to just want the "ricer" sound that cops love to chase after and middle aged men laugh at/make fun of, and you dont seem to be too concerned with performance, than just vent it and see if it works. all cars reposnd different, some can vent without drivability issues, others cant. This is all assuming stock MAF and no translator. But to buy a GM MAF and translator just so you can vent is retarded. At least get it because you want performance.

For bov's id reccomend the greddy type s because its a quality bov, you can vent it or keep the dump tube on when you find out your car doesnt respond well to venting or you just get sick of the sound, because im sure you will. I vented for a while back in the day, but i got sick of the sound. Now i just cringe at the sound of ricers who drive around blowing off. To me its the sound of slowness and someone just trying to be "fast and furious"

Old 02-01-2006, 10:51 PM

hmmmm i get you i get you...performance does matter like i said im new to cars so im just asking in the forum to see what people suggest.....so if i get the g reddy Bov what do you suggest i do after i buy it?

all i want is the best performance for my car i dont want to buy something and then suffer with my car...i just want it to run good and have everything ready

Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 PM

i dont know but i thought you had a spider before i guess i got you confused lol...

"Just messing around on my street with my EVO and the Stock BOV Vented, just to see how loud it would be LOL"
can you actually make it sound like that with the stock BOV? or you dont sugest it??

"what I did was pull the BOV out of the dump tube and left the dump tube connected to the intake but the end of it that was plugged into the BOV "
ok the tube is conected to both the intake and the BOV...i should leave the tub conected only to the intake and not to the BOV but at the end of you sentence you said that the tube was connected to the BOV?sorry im confused
I had a 2002 spyder V6. as for the Dump tube all it is , is a tube that connects your BOV with your intake. If you really want to vent it I would remove the tube all together and plug the hole on the intake.... that was my stock BOV in the video but I would at least buy a 1G BOV yours in weak for leaking boost

Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 PM

i would go with the greedy type s or rs both can be vented or recirculated in to the inkate both are good Quality you cant go wronge with eather but fyi i vented for 1 day i have a 97 gst and it made the car run like **** and sound annoyingsoo in my oppinon i would recirculate it on to the intake here are some pics and links GReddy Type S/RS Flange : Mitsubishi EVO VIII / Eclipse 95-99 Turbo #17731 GReddy RS Blowoff Valve Recirculation Kit and a link to a hole set up for a gst the kit

Quick Reply: blow off valve