2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine floods, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Default Engine floods, whats wrong?

Hey everyone, i just bought a 95 RS the car is an automatic, it ran well when i bought it just the other day it wouldnt start so i pulled the plugs and saw the motor was flooded, but i have spark anyone know what could be causing this? or any suggestions on what to test or replace would be helpful

Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 AM
Default RE: Engine floods, whats wrong?

On the 420A engine, coolant can leak from the Tstat housing or upper radiator hose directly on the Coolant Temp Sensor below causing incorrect sensor readings to the PCM. I've seen sensor readings through the MUT scan tool that were several degrees below zero. This will cause MAJOR enrichment. It will usually result in difficulty starting when the engine is truly cold- and next to impossible starting when the engine is truly warm. Start up usually follows with a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust. I've seen this several times- maybe this is what's happening to you. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 12-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Also does the car run rich after starting or does it finally run normal? An injector stuck partially open may also cause this type of problem. Were all cylinders flooded or just 1 or a few?

Old 12-30-2005, 11:51 AM

actually the car wont run at all, everyone of the plugs r soaked with fuel. I think im gona change the oil, change the plugs and the temp sensor and see what happens.the temp sensor is only $10.00 ill let yall know what happens

Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM

Be sure to change the correct sensor. The single wire sensor is for the guage unit on the dash whereas the muli wired sensor is going to the PCM. You want to change the one to the PCM. Good Luck! Also, if the combustion chambers has been loaded with fuel, you might want to try starting the engine at WOT letting off IMMEDIATELY after the engine fires up.

Joel, CA

Old 01-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Ok iv changed the plugs, wires, temp sensor and cam sensor i have tested the coil and compared it to a new one and they both have the exact same ohm readings. the air temp sensor ohm readings are within spec of the chilton manuel and the crank position sensor appears to have been changed recently this is whats still going on, cyl 2, 3, 4, all have very good spark cyl 1 has spark at the coil but with a wire attached it dosent spark but every once in a while so i changed the plug wires and same thing, then i took the coil off the car and brought it to the auto parts store where i used an multi meter to test it like the chilton book said, and did the same to the new coil both were exactly the same, i changed the cam sensor cause it was cracked and leaking oil, i did notice when i got under the car to look at the crank sensor that one of the 2 sensors had a cracked plug what are the 2 other sensors even if it has nothing to do with the problem im having i still would like to replace the sensor with the cracked plug, my last thought could it be the ECU and can it be tested out of the car by chrysler or mitsubishi

Old 02-12-2006, 01:06 AM

well after bringing the car to the dealer the problem was pin 51 on the pcm plug, i had them replace the 2 connectors for the air temp sensor, and the temp sensor, also another note pin 51 is a black wire with a green stripe and is the ground for both of those sensors. all i did was run another wire to them and it runs great.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:09 AM

Glad to hear it is running good man.