2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Default Engine Problem

I have a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (automatic) with stock engine and it seems that this car may have a lot of problems. First of all this car is leaking Oil and Transmission fluid. What should I do? Next when ever I am driving, I push on the accelerator, it seems that the car just downshifted or lose power then will run fine. Next, sometimes when ever I drive my car, my engines begins to start shaking very much, then my engine just dies or about to die. But sometimes, my car has a hard time starting up. I think it is a battery problem, but I took it to AutoZone to test and came back good battery. I dont know if there SPECIFIC BATTERY for cars, but I have a small batter for my eclipse, thats my other question. Some say it may be an alternator problem. These seems to be my problem with my car. What should I do?

-Vic

Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Problem

Change Spark plugs and wires and that should fix the stuttering and starting problem. And as far as the leaking oil and tranny fluid, i would probably attribute the oil to the head gasket cuz they are know to go on those cars and the tranny fluid you cant do much but check lines

Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 AM

I agree with checking the plugs and everything. The leaks, get under and try to find out where it is leaking. How much is leaking? There are a ton of places it can leak from so j ust saying that you have a leak isn't quite enough information.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM

x3 on the plugs n wires, even the coil pack if need be (at 100k miles mine was ready to be swapped). i'd do an oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket replacement if i were you, that's where my oil leaks were coming from and even if it's not coming from there it's always good just to replace them anyways from wear and tear... as for the tranny... take it to a tranny shop and see if they can find anything, most have a free inspection.