2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Intercooler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Default RE: Intercooler Installation

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

if you get into autocross, or start driving some really tight cornered roads, your power steering fluid will get really hot and become less useful. You should try and route the line somewhere else where its cool, or maybe look into power steering fluid coolers(tiny little radiators)
Slow it down Jeff!!! You're going to confuse Agallardo, lol.
I agree with you. I'm not exactly sure how my buddy's GS-T is reacting to not having a power steering cooler, he said driving it around town sucks and it makes noises as he takes turns after awhile, lol.
Others have done this before and some don't have issues though, because every car is different and driving styles vary, just keep your driving style in mind. If you do have issues after awhile or immediately, look into a cooler like Jeff stated or just put your stock cooler back. You may have to buy new hoses since you cut yours.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 PM

Thanks silvercoupe97. I will need to buy new hoses to reconnect it, which isnt bad. But will bending the pipe cause it to break? I thought about that, and i figure it might break. I guess i will buy a hose and connect it back and see where i can re-route it after i install the FMIC. And yes it is 3" thick.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:46 AM

Yes, they may break or crease, so just be careful if you find yourself needing to reconfigure it. I don't see why you would have to though because it's already shaped to fit in that area. Try to mount your fmic as far forward as possible. You won't be able to mount it too far forward becaus of the fascia, but it will give you more room to play with.
3" deep, that's what mine and what my buddy, with the same fmic, has too (the one that took his PS cooler off). He could have kept his and I did keep mine, so I don't think you will have a need to bend it around to fit. You never know though.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Not trying to steal this thread, im finally gettin a fmic for my other car. 28x12x3.5 any tips on installation? i dont have power steering anymore so i dont have to worry about that one. I may take pictures as i go just on the oddball stuff for later info for other people.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: racerx55

Not trying to steal this thread, im finally gettin a fmic for my other car. 28x12x3.5 any tips on installation? i dont have power steering anymore so i dont have to worry about that one. I may take pictures as i go just on the oddball stuff for later info for other people.
I think you should go with a short route piping. Are you going to have the piping made or are you going to buy a kit? Either way go with the short route, oh, and you shouldn't have issues. It should be pretty straight forward for you bud.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 AM

the piping came with the intercooler, its was a short routing kit i belive, i think ill have to modify one pipe or get a 90* hose for the 20g to hook up cuz its a direct fit setup for the 14b /16g basically. i figure i have all that stuff on that car and the stock intercooler i probly have 40 Psi before the IC and 23 after it, lol
thats one thing i kept leaving off my list. And ill have to do something about my BOV cuz it has a universial flange already welded on for a hose to connect. ill probly just make a flange to put my stock 1g BOV back on it.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM

WHERES THE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: racerx55

What do you mean you dont have power steering anymore? How did you do that? One of my friends has an Eclipse and doesnt have a power steering belt and turning is a bitch for him. Is this what you did?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM

Well when i got the car i took my car trailer &picked it up with a blown up engine that was half apart. the pump was laying underthe hood i guess and fell outsomehwere between my house and his so i just looped the lines downon the rack and filled it with some fluid, took the brackets off and called it a day. Its hard to turn sitting still but it dont bother me any other time. Now that i have a spool in the center diff. and it fights so bad turning it always wants to pull back straight really hard and im debating finding a pump. i just need a donor car for the pump,pulleys, brackets & hoses.
For you PS cooler you could get some 3/8" aluminum line from the parts store and bend it yourself and make it fit where you want it then hook the hoses back onto the ends of it. I would reccomend aluminum over steel because it disperses heat alot faster. You just have to be careful not to kink it.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 AM

you should look into putting in a manual rack