2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Thinking of 97, will I have crankwalk problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Default Thinking of 97, will I have crankwalk problems?

I am thinking about getting a '97 GSX. It had one owner. Its automatic. I read about crankwalk problems in 2nd gen eclipses, do you think I will have any crankwalk problems? (I dont know much about eclipses)
I has low miles, and a good price.
I dont plan to tune it or anything like that.
Also, are they reliable at all? It has apparently been dealership serviced. (The AWD seems really nice too)

edit: by the way, it would be serviced by my mechanic, not me.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Default RE: Thinking of 97, will I have crankwalk problems?

From what I know automatics have less of a chance to walk and low milage is a plus because cw is normally associated with higher milesand more wear and tear. But really crankwalk is played up to much chances are you won't walk it, but since your not going to mod it then thats even less wear and tear. Its really up to you.Just keep up with maintenance and don't run the hell out of it all the time and you should be fine.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 AM

I wouldnt be racing it or anything drastic... just everyday driving and if I feel/hear a problem, a visit to my mechanic.
So you think it would be pretty reliable?
(for some reason I got the feeling that crankwalk was only for manual cars since it had something to do with the cluth but I'm not sure) Any precautions to take to avoid possible crankwalk?

I see you have a 95 GSX, how is the gas mileage for you (in city and highway)?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I would want to be keeping the car for a long time and have it last with me. (The KM are lower than some of the 2000+ eclipses I;ve seen for sale)

Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 AM

With my eclipse I average 23-24 about 1/4 highway and 3/4 city. I do have a bit of a lead foot I love AWD. But when it comes to avoiding it just keeping up on maintenance and don't abuse it all the time when you are driving it. But I will be honest although cw is rare to begin with it has just randomly happend to people when they are lightly modded and well maintained. Its not as big of a risk as some ppl make it out to be but you will have the possibility of it happening. Then again like I said you keep up on things maintenace wise, no real serious mods and your chances of getting cw decrease that much more. But there is no single cause for it it is a combination of a few minor defects that cause crank walk.

Edit: if you want to know more about cw and alternatives to fix it just do a search on this forum it has been covered a million times

Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks a lot for your input.
You like the turbo in your GSX? Have you had to replace it yet?
Like.. when a Turbo needs replacing, I assume that would cost a lot. I wonder if it will still drive without the turbo.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:51 AM

the stock turbo is reliable but most ppl don't like it becuase it can't handle much more than stock horse power. The stock turbo is a garret t25. I had a t28 on my gsx when I bought it . A t28 is just the next step bigger in the garret line of turbos can handle a considerable more amount of horsepower while stil spooling fast. That went up on me not long after I bought the car becasue it was really abused before I got it. But say if you would need a new turbo you could get a 16g or a a t28. They both are reliable and are bolt on to your stock manifold. Most people swaer by 16g's because they are cheaper and can handle a little more hp with the same reliability for the most part. Never buy a turbo on ebay because they are made oversees with very bad quality control for the most part. But as far as replacing it and doing it right you will spend about 550 for a 16g and about give or take 100 dollarsmaybe a littlemorefor an install kit. And a t28 is straight bolt on it is basically a stock turbo housing with upgraded compressor and turbine wheel. But the draw back is the cheapest I have seen them is 750 and up. So a 16g is a great bet and will last.

But with personal experience my old t28 worked great and I just got a 16g and am in the process of gettin that together. If you are interseted in modding your car check the Faq's section for GS-T and GSX staged mods To answer the rest of your question if you simply took the turbo off it will not run it is impossible.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:55 AM

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_32929/tm.htmhere is the link for the staged mods.

And check out the faqs for some info on whatever else you might be wondering. Otherwise just ask

Old 09-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Props to you Pribs... I am glad to see some people do search and have learned from it