2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Default timing belt replacement

hey everyone i was wondering i am thinking about buying a 99 eclipse rs and the person said the timing belt was out i was wondering if its really complicated to replace a timing belt? also was wondering if someone could direct me to somewhere that would give me directions on how to do it.... any help would be great thanks

chris

Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

you need to buy a manual because you are gonna want to replace moree than just the belt. There is the tensioner and the water pump. And also did he say that the timing belt broke? because if that is the case then these motors are interference meaning if the belt breaks the valves will go off time and slam into the top of the pistons. This ussually just leads to the valves being bent and no damage to the pistons but i have seen pics of pistons cracking from it.

So you really need to know the extent of the damage and what this is gonna cost you to fix before you get into it. But if you have never done a timing belt before and are not really mechanically inclined then i strongly suggest you take it to a reliable shop because this job done wrong can really cause problems. Meaning you miss-time the cams or crank and you will have more problems then when you started.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 AM

ne dude that bull ****s easy - its like 75 at max..

Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

^^how about you try and type in english and clearly. I am guessing you are saying that simply replacing a timing belt is easy and only takes 75 minutes. For someone that has done alot of them i would say this may be true. But for someone that has never done it you want to take your time and make sure everything is done right otherwise the consequences of messing up can be expensive.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Hi eveyone!
This is my 1st.time here in this forum, however I've been participated into many other
{BMW's forum} outhere. But unfortunately now, my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4 cylinders
has finally puched me to the test, where I'm desperately seeking for some help from you folks and this is what 1st brought me to this Mitsubishi forum.

Quickly I want to describe that: By driving on the highway, my timing belt broke
and ripped apart. A week later, Cylinder head was removed completely to rebuilt
after a few valves bent. Now, I'm looking to install the cylinder head by myself
the same way I've removed it. But my problem is: I'm worrying mostly about the
timing belt set-up.

My concern is: with the #1 piston staring straight at me on the engine bloc,
wouldn't it be more easy to just turn the crankshaft pulley and set the #1 piston
at top dead center before installing the cylinder head on top?

Otherwise, is there any further things I need to know, specially installing a rebuilt cylinder head with new timing belt??

Your help would greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails timing belt replacement-fullyloaded.jpg   timing belt replacement-my-2000-galant.jpg  

Last edited by mysweetx5; 08-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Thanks for your appreciation but this doesn't seem to help me on anything.
However, after my cylinder head has been completely rebuilt due to the
timing belt failure that ripped apart while driving. I'm seeking for more help
on how to properly set-up the timing belt; once all the pistons are looking
straight at me where I could probably easy to put the 1st piston on top dead center by turning the crankshaft pulley, before I can even install the cylinder head on top.

Attached Thumbnails timing belt replacement-my-2000-galant.jpg  
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 AM