3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Central Locking and Cig Lighter dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Default Central Locking and Cig Lighter dead

Hi. I've a 2004 Spyder GTS (US, LHD) and when using the central console's cigarette lighter as a power source for an air-pump (flat tyre), the pump cut out and I found the plug really hot – overheated. It failed to reconnect in the cigarette lighter socket afterwards (although it worked using the power outlet in the centre storage compartment). I then found the central locking mechanism no longer responds with ether the door switches or the key fob(s).
  • I checked the fuse(s)
  • Nothing else (lights, dashboard etc.) seems affected
  • Neither left nor right door switches/buttons work to lock/unlock the doors
  • the key in the driver's door doesn't lock/unlock both doors
  • If both doors are manually unlocked, pressing the UNLOCK on the key fob is recognized by corner lights flashing (but no "clunk") but the LOCK button does nothing.
    • If I manually lock the doors and THEN click LOCK on the fob, the corner lights flash as per. THEN if I unlock the door manually from inside (top down) the arm goes off. Unlocking using the key evokes no response.
  • If both doors are manually locked (top down) the reverse is true: the LOCK button generates a flash (and horn toot but no "clunk") but nothing happens with the UNLOCK button
  • The fob's trunk key has no effect either
  • I've reprogrammed the key fob button confirmation responses using the standard procedure to turn on or off horn toots etc. just to ensure it's properly communicating with the system and it seems to be as I can alter my responses.
I've not taken the console apart but the only thing I can think of is a burnt out wire that is common to the both the cigarette lighter and the central locking system circuits.

Anyone have any ideas they could share with me, please? This is a great car with only 21K on it so can't simply let this go: she deserves a little respect and TLC!

Cheers, all!

Last edited by Bitbytr; 01-14-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:02 PM
Smile Freshen up the Enquiry...

I want to freshen up this question: surely SOMEONE must be familiar with this?

Originally Posted by Bitbytr
Hi. I've a 2004 Spyder GTS (US, LHD) and when using the central console's cigarette lighter as a power source for an air-pump (flat tyre), the pump cut out and I found the plug really hot – overheated. It failed to reconnect in the cigarette lighter socket afterwards (although it worked using the power outlet in the centre storage compartment). I then found the central locking mechanism no longer responds with ether the door switches or the key fob(s).
  • I checked the fuse(s)
  • Nothing else (lights, dashboard etc.) seems affected
  • Neither left nor right door switches/buttons work to lock/unlock the doors
  • the key in the driver's door doesn't lock/unlock both doors
  • If both doors are manually unlocked, pressing the UNLOCK on the key fob is recognized by corner lights flashing (but no "clunk") but the LOCK button does nothing.
    • If I manually lock the doors and THEN click LOCK on the fob, the corner lights flash as per. THEN if I unlock the door manually from inside (top down) the arm goes off. Unlocking using the key evokes no response.
  • If both doors are manually locked (top down) the reverse is true: the LOCK button generates a flash (and horn toot but no "clunk") but nothing happens with the UNLOCK button
  • The fob's trunk key has no effect either
  • I've reprogrammed the key fob button confirmation responses using the standard procedure to turn on or off horn toots etc. just to ensure it's properly communicating with the system and it seems to be as I can alter my responses.
I've not taken the console apart but the only thing I can think of is a burnt out wire that is common to the both the cigarette lighter and the central locking system circuits.

Anyone have any ideas they could share with me, please? This is a great car with only 21K on it so can't simply let this go: she deserves a little respect and TLC!

Cheers, all!