3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

EGR Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Default EGR Problems

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6 5spd. I have been having a problem with the EGR valve for some time. A while ago i got the piping cleaned out and all of the carbon deposits were removed, but for some reason the check engine light keeps comming on and saying that the EGR is have flow problems. Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this problem. And i was wondering if anyone else with a similar car was have the same problem. Thanks

Old 10-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Default RE: EGR Problems

most people just block it off.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 PM

Block it and have a real reason for the cel. The car will run not different( ****ty/good) but you will get about 1-2 hp.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

You cleaned the piping out BUT did you replace the EGR valve? They may not be able to get all the deposits out of the valve it would be better to just replace it. Or block it like Eclipsed said LOL

Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 AM

Pinch the yellow traced vacuum return line at the top of the throttle body- your engine should stumble right away to near stalling before the IAC kicks in to prevent it. If it doesn't, it could be a small number of things with the EGR valve being LAST on the short list of potential problems. Chances are, your engine will stumble pretty good PRIOR to your cleaning, it's just not stumbling fast enough from when the EGR solenoid is activated. The PCM picks this up by way of the Map sensor atop of the intake plenum. Once the EGR is activated under decelleration, it should notice an immediate drop in manifold vacuum. If not- our CEL will turn on.
The ported vacuum source (a pinhole sized opening just past the throttle plate) has been known to clog up at times lowering the amount of vaccum available to pull the valve open in a speedy manner. It is located at the start of the blue/green traced vacuum line ontop of the throttle body next to the yellow one i mentioned earlier. Remove the intake hose, open the throttle plate, and clean off the bore with a rag soaked with throttle body cleaner. DO NOT spray directly into the intake. Disconnect your negative battery terminal for a minute to clear the light and check with a specific road test. You'll need to find a boulevard where you can travel between 40 and 50 miles an hour constantly for about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, take your foot off of the throttle and allow it to coast down to between 5-10 mph. It is important that the throttle is CLOSED throughout this time (the PCM will activate the EGR solenoid and check for that vacuum drop). You may have to repeat this a few times as it will take 2 properly run cycles to trigger that light again (or not). Anyway, that is very likely to be your problem. If not, i have seen other areas that may need attention but we'll get to that later.

Joel, CA
Diamond Star Technican