Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Egr and oxy problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Default Egr and oxy problems.

2000 Galant 3.0. I have been having issues with my egr for the past year, and of course now I need to get a sticker.
Here's what I have done. Removed the intake had it cleaned out at a machine shop, they said there was a lot of mud that came out of the egr ports. Replaced the pvc valve, cleaned the pvc ports on the engine, cleaned the engine ports that the pcv goes into, replaced the egr valve (the erg valve I replaced last year when I first got the car and it didn't fix anything) and solenoid, replaced the gasket between the intake and engine. New plugs, disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Started it up and finally when it started ran okay. Shut it off and back on then the engine light comes back on!
I went to autozone and they tell me code p0400 which is the egr and P0141 which is an oxygen sensor.
I don't have a scan tool and just today removed the hose with the restrictor in it and used regular vac hose, you could see through the restrictor it was like a pin hole I don't know if that's normal. But because I have the oxy code I don't know if it helped. Which goes to my second part which oxy sensor is that actually? I can see one in the front of the engine, one in the back at the firewall and I assume there's one or two before, at, or after the cat. Any help would be appreciated the egr is really honking me off! I also did that test where you clamp off the one hose and the car died I forget which one it was, I read the post here somewhere. Thanks ahead of time.