4th Generation This includes all Eclipses built in 2006 and 2007.

Need advise on 06 Eclipse tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Default Need advise on 06 Eclipse tranny

I'm bringing my 06 Eclipse GT with 6spd tranny for warranty work tommorow. The problem is under brisk acceleration the shifter won't got into 3rd. It feels good through 1st and 2nd but when you go into 3rd it feels like the shifter is catching on something. I have to pull back and try again and then it works.

I've also noticed when I do get into 3rd every now and then the clutch doesn't engage right away. I'll shift and let go of the clutch and the rpms will stay high like I'm feathering the clutch. Eventually it comes down and fully engages. This has only happened a few times and only in 3rd.

I wanted to get some advice so I don't get ripped off. The service advisor told me to bring it in because if I drive it with a known problem I may void the warranty coverage. I don't know anything about the parts of a clutch so if someone could explain what it may be I'll be a bit smarter when they start throwing jargan at me.

Oh, by the way, the car only has 15,000 miles on it and has not been raced. I have tested it's ability a few times but nothing crazy. I'm also experinced at driving manual tranny.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need advise on 06 Eclipse tranny

well being only in one gear i would say its more of a tranny issue than a clutch issue, maybe a bad syncro. But as long as your covered under warrenty you should be fine. Maybe come back and let us know what they say is wrong

Old 11-20-2006, 10:26 AM

I went to the dealership and their top Mitsi mechanic had it for half the day. When I called back they said he couldn't find the problem. I went over and the mechanic and I went for a ride. He drove for a bit and couldn't duplicate it. I asked him to pull over and put it in neutral with the clutch in. I moved the shifter from 2 to 3 several times and finally it hit that sweet spot where it catches. I held it there and let him feel the pressure I had on it and it still not go into 3rd. He said your catching it in that spot between 1st and 3rd but it still shouldn't do that.
In regards to the clutch slipping every now and then when I let go of the clutch in 3rd, he said if the clutch is slipping it would happen in all gears, not just 3rd. He said once the clutch is engaged the contact is the same in every gear. He finished by saying this problems is unique and he wants the Mitsi representative to look at it. The rep comes there once a month so I'll repost once he looks at it.

Sometimes being under warranty is worst then not.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

well to me it sounds like a syncro since its only one gear, which if thats the case be glad it is under warrenty because paying to have them take apart a tranny and rebuild that wouldnt be cheap