Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

back speakers dont work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Default back speakers dont work?

the two back speakers in my 2g eclipse arent workin, its two aftermarket kicker speakers, about 6 or 8 inches, i tried to see if i could turn them on by using the head unit but didnt see an option.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Default RE: back speakers dont work?

Ok, so there's a little more information that we'll need in order to get any you anywhere. We'll start with the basics, and then get a little more technical in the trouble shooting/

-Does the audio source turn on appropriatly?
-Is the Balance/Fade centered?
-Are all connections at the rear of the radio still connected appropriatly?
-Are the connections at the speakers connected appropriatly?
-Aftermarket or factory stereo?
-Is there audio leaving the head stereo? Take a meter, and place it on volts AC, connect the positive lead to the positive wire, and the black to ground. You should see a voltage reading that corosponds with the volume and intensity of the audio being put through the speakers. The more you turn up the volume, the more voltage you'll see.
-If factory, is the car equipped with the factory Infinity system?
-If aftermarket, are you running audio from the head unit's built in amplifier, integrated with factory amp (if so equipped), or running an aftermarket amplifier?

If you're running an amplifier, and all connections at the head unit and the speaker are secure, the problem is most likely in the amplifier and needs to be replaced or repaired.

If you're running without an amplifier, and all connections at the head unit and the speaker are good, there's a good chance that the speaker is dead.

Remove the speaker (which is a 6x9 I believe) and perform a couple of tests on it to determine your next step

1.) Sniff it. It sounds dumb, but this is always the first thing I do to a potentially blown speaker. Place you're nose near the magnet and take a whiff. If you smell that dreaded burnt electronic smell, you've got a cooked voice coil and the speaker needs to be replaced.

If you don't smell anything funny, the next step is to....

2.) Push it. Again, it sounds stupid, but it works. Place your ear next to the cone of the speaker, and gently push the cone of the speaker in, then release. A good speaker should be almost completely silent, and the cone should react like a miniature trampolene when you release it. If you hear a sort of grinding sound, or the woofer just slides up as opposed to sprining back to it's original position, the cone/coil/spyder (or some combination of the three) is damaged, and the speaker needs replaced.

Finally, if your speaker passes both the Sniff and Push tests, there's one final test you can perform.

3.) The Pop Test - take your run of the mill AA battery, solder a wire onto the positive and negative ends, and then touch the wires to the respective terminals. If the speaker moves, then the speaker is in perfect working order. If it does not, then there is a connection issue with the speaker, and depending on where it is, can be repaired, but may have to be replaced.

If you go through all of these test and the problem still exists, there's an issue with the wiring somewhere and further diagnostics and testing needs to be done, which is usually best left to a proffssional. Let me know if this helped at all.