Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

RVR/Outlander Sport CVT issue : constant engine brake on new vehicle - ideas?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Default RVR/Outlander Sport CVT issue : constant engine brake on new vehicle - ideas?

Hi all,
I noticed that my Outlander Sport, at low speeds, is constantly decelerating the vehicle. It is noticeable enough to the point that it feels like I am wasting a bit of mileage. Anyone else notice this? If I move the shifter to Neutral, the problem goes away and I can coast until the car, like any other car, would naturally stop. However, if I accelerate and leave the shifter in D, the car will engine brake such that, it will stop much sooner. This goes for all conditions, uphill/downhill/flat etc. It's super frustrating and it's a new vehicle! I am bringing it to the dealer but I'd thought I'd check against your guys' experiences.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM

yep I have the same problem with my Outlander sport 2,4l . Looking at mpg readout , it doesn't seem to effect the mileage . My wife thinks I am crayzee ,but I have been coasting to stops with no trans drag.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 PM

If you are talking about the engine braking when lifting off of the gas - mine does the same thing - It is strange, and takes time to get used to - but then gets fun - It's the CVT - I specifically asked about it and was assured it's driving normally - and doesn't affect anything - other than the weird sensation. I have no idea why, or how it works - but it's actually nice in stop and go traffic where it will basically slow itself down for me.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM

It's actually the regenerative alternator turning up the regeneration. Check it out... All New 2011 Outlander Sport Powered By Proven Four-Cylinder Architecture And Fast And Efficient Continuously-Variable Transmission (CVT) - Mitsubishi Newsroom Read the section that states "Smart" Alternator and Brake Energy Regeneration