Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Galant Keyless Sytem with Trunk Release?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Default '01 Galant Keyless Sytem with Trunk Release?

I just bought a '01 Galant ES from a chrystler dealer. The car has a keyless system installed in it, but there were no remotes. The interesting thing is that this car has the keyless trunk release. I called the dealer and he gave me the Mitsu p/n of MR587858 ($103). He had no other cross reference number.

So, I go to Ebay. Lo and behold there is no listing for the above p/n. I do some further research and find that there are three different remotes for the above Mitsu p/n. Looking around the internet, I have not found one remote for an '01 Galant with a trunk button. I have found one for the 01 Diamante.

The final nugget is that this car was originally bought new as a rental car from a national chain. I am leaning toward buying the '01 Diamante Remote with the trunk button. My thought is that a car rental agency making a mass purchase could specify this added option, which was apparently only available on 01 diamante cars.

Does this sound correct? Any suggestions on which remote to actually purchase that would allow me to use the trunk release option?

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Default RE: '01 Galant Keyless Sytem with Trunk Release?

I don't believe that you even had an option for a power remote trunk release for your model year. Look under the rear trunk door and look for a release solenoid- if it's not there, you don't have one. Good LUck!

Joel, CA

Old 10-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Default RE: '01 Galant Keyless Sytem with Trunk Release?

Thanks for the tip. What I thought was the electrical connection for the remote trunk is actually the switch for the trunk light. Got snookered by the dealer. I guess I will look into retrofitting the entire keyless system to include a trunk release option.

Would you suggest I do it with an upgraded Mitsu brand (like an '02 version) or overhaul with a private label?